We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Least expensive way to rent car to do day hike in Mt Rainier

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Zanesville, Ohio...
Least expensive way to rent car to do day hike in Mt Rainier

I am staying at the Renaissance downtown Thurs - Sun. I want to get an early start on a hike Monday morning at Mt Rainier. My plan is rent a car downtown Sunday, drive to the mountain and stay Sun night, hike Monday and return the rental car Mon PM near the Sea-tac. Then stay overnight there and fly out (6am flight) on Tues. Looks like it would cost me 2 days rental though. Any problems with my plan or any way to trim costs?

Seattle, Wa
reviews: 24
1. Re: Least expensive way to rent car to do day hike in Mt Rainier

Have you checked prices on Hotwire? You might get a cheaper rate that way.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 61
2. Re: Least expensive way to rent car to do day hike in Mt Rainier

Yes, you will be charged with a two day rental for the day and a half you have it. There is no way around that while also doing what you set out to do. I would check Kayak to see if you can find a better rate, but that is about it. :)

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 83
3. Re: Least expensive way to rent car to do day hike in Mt Rainier

Normally you could rent downtown and drop at Seatac. if you do it thru Hotwire or others that may not be possible. While most companies allow it at no charge I know Enterprise charges more. Normally your 'costco' rate is one of the best.

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 68
4. Re: Least expensive way to rent car to do day hike in Mt Rainier

We did this last month. We rented from Avis in Seattle. We picked up the car at 8 am and had the car back by 6 pm. We didn't do a lot of hiking, but we did drive the entire length of the main road in Mt Rainier and stopped several times to get out and walk around quite a bit. Would this work for you? This avoided paying for parking the car overnight at hotel and paying for a second day.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 360
5. Re: Least expensive way to rent car to do day hike in Mt Rainier

It's anecdotal evidence, but when I've checked for one-way rentals, I've found Enterprise higher than even Avis or Hertz (can be lower when returning to the same point as pick-up, however). I've used Costco, but have also gotten good rates using discount codes from AARP, USAA insurance, and even airlines (e.g., AA), whether or not I'm flying that airline.

Washington State
reviews: 48
6. Re: Least expensive way to rent car to do day hike in Mt Rainier

If you don't have a specific hike you NEED to do, you might want to check with the Mountineers mountaineers.org/source/… and see if there is a hike that you could join. Then all you'd need to do is offer gas money to the driver you ride with (and get yourself to the meetup).

7. Re: Least expensive way to rent car to do day hike in Mt Rainier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, September 05, 2014