We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment location

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 5
Apartment location

For our upcoming two weeks in Seattle we are looking at an apartment near 3rd and Bell.

Does that seem like a reasonable location for walking and public transportation, etc.?

8 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 60
1. Re: Apartment location

That's a fairly reasonable area for getting to and from the main attractions, but the area late at night is a little so-so. There's no real super duper charm in that area, but it is central. The park right at that intersection historically wasn't the best park in the world, but it's been better since they changed it to a dog park.

Issaquah, Washington
reviews: 17
2. Re: Apartment location

It's fairly convenient to downtown but last time I was in the area there was a partier throwing up on the sidewalk and there were four police cars parked in the alley behind the park with a lot of sketchy people around.

We weren't afraid but I probably wouldn't want to spend two weeks there. It was a weeknight and when we walked back to the car from a fairly late show at the Crocodile there were a lot of people out on the sidewalks and in bars and restaurants in the area so it might be fairly loud depending on how high up you are.

seattle
reviews: 1
3. Re: Apartment location

I wouldn't stay in that location unless you are interested in clubs and nightlife.

Edited: 11:03 pm, August 31, 2013
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
4. Re: Apartment location

I don't know your ages and your concerns, but if you are interested in quiet sleep and personal safety at night, don't stay in this neighborhood. As several posters have intimated, it is known for its bars and clubs. In the wee hours, when the bars close, it is also known for violence.

Seattle
reviews: 12
5. Re: Apartment location

That's right in "Belltown". As others have mentioned, it's an area with lots of clubs and bars (and apartments). Yes it is central for walking and public transportation. It's a dense urban area. I think it's OK but for a two week stay I might pick something a bit more outside downtown like Queen Anne or Capitol Hill (residential areas to the north and east respectively of downtown). They are just a lot more pleasant imo.

suze

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
6. Re: Apartment location

HMMM.. The google earth street view shows a 6 story apartment building next to another one and a stroll around in every direction doesn't show any obvious clubs or bars - It looks quite residential. We didn't want to be too far out of the center because we will only rent a car for day trips outside of the city and want to be able to walk or take a short bus ride to significant sites. However, I will take your cautions into consideration.

Edited: 3:22 pm, September 01, 2013
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Washington
reviews: 7
7. Re: Apartment location

Outside of the concerns mentioned previously it would be in a central location that would allow you to walk to Seattle Center (Space Needle, EMP, Chihuly glass museum, etc.) as well as to Pike Place Market, Olympic Sculpture Park & the waterfront. 3rd Ave is a main bus corridor for East/West bound buses.

There are many 'mixed use' condo & apartment buildings with shops, restaurants, etc. at street level. Without knowing the exact location it's hard to advise specifics, but previous posters & reviewers have specifically mentioned street noise in Belltown. It might be possible to request a room which faces towards a interior courtyard or towards an alley instead of 3rd Ave? If you're out late, then catch a cab back to your rental unit.

Plug the address into Google maps & use the 'search nearby' feature for bars, restaurants, clubs. Although I have seen Google camera vans driving around the city, It's hard to know when street view was last updated.

Washington State
reviews: 43
8. Re: Apartment location

I work very close to there. It is fine for daytime and early evening as far as saftey of walking, etc. Bus connections are also easy, as TONS of busses run up 3rd. Are you late night people or are you going to be home by 10pm every night anyway? If you are coming home a lot later, that might be the night to treat yourself to a cab. It is central and a short walk to both downtown and the Seattle Center.

Reply to: Apartment location
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted