We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on my hotel location?

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Thoughts on my hotel location?

Hi,

I am going to be spending 2 days in Seattle with my mother who is in her late 60's in the first week of October. We don't need anything fancy, just something that is centrally located.

I want to make sure my mom has to walk as little as possible although I am sure she has to do at least some walking and that's fine. I know it is technically considered "downtown", but coming from NYC, I know that a hotel listed in neighborhood "X" could mean anything.

Just wanted to run this past you and get your thoughts. Is there close public transportation to Pike Place and other major attractions?

Quality Inn & Suites Seattle Center

Address: 618 John Street, South Lake Union

Seattle (Washington), WA 98109

24 replies to this topic
seattle
reviews: 2
21. Re: Thoughts on my hotel location?

Thanks for the informative description of "downtown" Seattle, klsalas. The OP raised an interesting question about what is "downtown" Seattle. To provide visual context to klsalas' description, below is a link to a map on the Downtown Seattle Association website, which very clearly identifies the different neighborhoods considered to constitute downtown Seattle. I thought it might be helpful to the OP and others in relating to the different sections of the so-called downtown area when reading about them in this forum. What the map lacks is a scale to estimate distances from any points A to B on the map, although they can be inferred from the blocks covered.

downtownseattle.com/pdf_files/things_to_do/D…

New York City, New...
22. Re: Thoughts on my hotel location?

Thank you again everyone for your responses. I think I am going to stick with the Pioneer Sq. hotel and mainly b/c it's close the train station (walking distance I believe). This will allow us to easily take the train from the airport to the hotel and walk to the train early Sunday morning (Oct. 6) to catch the Amtrak to Vancouver.

I heard something about a free bus that loops around the waterfront, does this stop around Pioneer Sq.? How can I learn more about it? If it does, that would be more than sufficient enough. While I don't want my mom walking alot the bottom line is that there are times when she is going to have to walk and she is fine with that. I just wanted to minimize as much as possible, I will take public transportation or taxi whenever appropriate.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 83
23. Re: Thoughts on my hotel location?

The free bus ended over a yr ago.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Washington
reviews: 7
24. Re: Thoughts on my hotel location?

The bus route you're thinking of is Metro bus #99. I don't think it's free, but it does make a large loop West along 1st Ave, then East along Alaskan Way/the waterfront to Pioneer Square & the International District/Chinatown. metro.kingcounty.gov/schedules/099/map.html

Bus route #99 replaces the former Waterfront Trolley which stopped operation due to the creation of the Olympic Sculpture Park when it took over the land formerly occupied by the Trolley's terminus/service building.

Reply to: Thoughts on my hotel location?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted