We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USA Whale Watching in December

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa
reviews: 6
USA Whale Watching in December

Hi. I want to go whale watching, I was looking into the San Juan Islands off the coast of Washington State, but evidently whale watching "sucks" in December. My birthday is in December and I am pretty set on taking a trip within the same month of my birthday. My bday is Cmas Eve, so I am looking to go the week or 2 prior to that week, for 4 days/3 nights. I live in FL about 2 hours from Sea World, but there is something so amazing about being able to see these beautiful mammals in the wild! Any suggestions would be great! This may be a solo trip, or with a friend.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
reviews: 53
1. Re: USA Whale Watching in December

Google something like "Whale Watch, USA" and much will turn up. But, I don't think you'll have much luck if you are committed to December. So, be flexible, celebrate another time. Here's a table showing best whale watch times in the Salish Sea.

WHALE WATCHING INFORMATION See the table on this website, by month, for each whale (and other) species.http://www.island-adventures.com/whale-watching-tours/index.php

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
reviews: 41
2. Re: USA Whale Watching in December

Whales are leaving Alaska and the Pacific Northwest each fall and traveling to warmer waters in Baja and Hawaii. The same whales are tracked coming back to the NW each spring. So for whales in December, head to warmer climates or change your travel dates.

Friday Harbor...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
reviews: 8
3. Re: USA Whale Watching in December

We spent 5 weeks in southern Baja (Mexico) last December and saw migrating grey whales every day most all the time and surprisingly close to the beach at times. I used to watch them for hours at a time. If you want to see whales in December head someplace like that. See this web site that has lots of info on them: bajainsider.com/baja-california-travel/baja-…

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 5
4. Re: USA Whale Watching in December

For someone from Tampa you are going to find the NW pretty bleak in December. You will not regret waiting till the Summer when the weather is glorious here compared to hot and humid in Tampa. Seeing Orcas in the San Juan's in their natural and beautiful environment is a thrill. I am going to San Juan Island this weekend and am keeping my fingers crossed. Return in Summer. there are so many incredible places to visit out here in July and August!

Tampa
reviews: 6
5. Re: USA Whale Watching in December

Thanks! I'm going to take everyone's advice and wait until Spring/Summer to make the trip! I'll do the Caribbean for my birthday and see some dolphins! Weather doesn't phase me. I love the cold.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 5
6. Re: USA Whale Watching in December

Remember we do not get that cold, it is the grey you may not like. Plan a longer trip and include a couple of National Parks. If you like hiking at all, this area is paradise.

7. Re: USA Whale Watching in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, July 18, 2014