We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why are hotels so expensive?

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, Canada
reviews: 9
Why are hotels so expensive?

I have been checking out Hotwire and other sites and see prices around $200 per night (July 31 to Aug 8). Is this normal? Can I anticipate better deals if I wait longer?

Any suggestions?

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
reviews: 16
1. Re: Why are hotels so expensive?

Yes, it's normal. I would not anticipate any deals, in fact if you wait to book, more than likely you will be without a room. That is height of our summer season, one of the "ideal' weeks of our year. It is also Seafair Week, starting with the Torchlight Parade on July 27, and the Hydro races/Airshow August 1 - August 4. Mariner's have a long home stand, August 5-11. Sounder's have two home games, June 28 and August 3. Heavy cruise-line traffic.

Lots going on. It's summer in Seattle!

Edited: 5:01 pm, June 05, 2013
Seattle
reviews: 12
2. Re: Why are hotels so expensive?

Yes it's normal. Seattle is a major city and very popular. And summer is high tourist season. It's not all that different than you'd find in New York, San Francisco, LA, or Chicago these days.

suze

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 83
3. Re: Why are hotels so expensive?

its cruise season and almost all hotels are filled with cruisers especially on the weekend and its also Seafair which brings in a ton of people. Even staying near the Space Needle can save you some $$.

Look at

hotelcoupons.com

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 52
4. Re: Why are hotels so expensive?

It's not London! Seattle is a very busy, diverse city with lots going on, particularly when you will be there.

If you can find someting for under $200, grab it.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 28
5. Re: Why are hotels so expensive?

This is a disturbing trend I've noticed everywhere this year. Compared to 2 years ago (2011) hotel rates in major cities have shot up at least 50% in most cases. For example, I stayed at the Hilton Union Suqare in SF in July 2011 for 179.00 per night plus tax. This year it's almost 300.00. If you can get a room. Same difference with Chicago, New York etc. even when searching with flexible dates. Does anyone know what's going on? Supply and demand are the usual suspects, but do millions of people suddenly have lots of disposible income?

Bellingham...
reviews: 292
6. Re: Why are hotels so expensive?

*some cities have higher taxes than others,

*you pay for location of the hotel, such as the downtown ones cost more than staying in SeaTac or Redmond for example

*you have to pay for the staff

* world population keeps increasing

maybe consider airbnb.com/

Edited: 4:01 pm, August 28, 2013
reviews: 68
7. Re: Why are hotels so expensive?

i sleep in a tent in a forest or park. its $12-25 a night.

i can stay for weeks for what you spend in a weekend.

i dont shower as much, etc., but it sure makes traveling more affordable.

that aside, i would second the airbnb.com

just had a friend use it on vacation and came home raving about it.

it will be my go-to for a place to stay if weather gets horrible during my future trips.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 28
8. Re: Why are hotels so expensive?

Thanks for the tips, airbnb looks great! Will use it next trip!

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 46
9. Re: Why are hotels so expensive?

Services like AirBnB are great, but with a few cautionary notes. These places are NOT hotels and its important to know what you are signing up for.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1-i10700-k6310497-…

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 4
10. Re: Why are hotels so expensive?

Cmr your advise does not help much. Do you have any idea how old the OP is and if they even have camping equipment. Please tell me where that campsite or Park is in Seattle?