We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaskan cruise from Seattle

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 1
Alaskan cruise from Seattle

We are going in an NCL Alaskan Cruise leaving from Seattle in a Saturday in August/2013. We are flying from Newark, NJ. We can get 2 free nights at the Radisson Hotel by the Seattle airport. Our plan is to fly in on Friday night, take the cruise on Saturday (do some sightseeing in Seattle in the morning), come back to Seattle the following Saturday, stay the holiday weekend and come back to NJ on Monday (memorial day). my questions are:

1. Is it a good idea to stay in a hotel near the airport? how far the airport is? would make sense to rent a car to go back and forth to Seattle?. considering the price of the hotels in Seattle, 2 free nights might beat the price of car rental and the commuting.

2. I know every city is different and have a lot of things to do, but 1 Saturday morning and 2 and 1/2 days (sat, sun and mon morning) will be enough time to see the major attractions in the city?

3. is it easy to drive into and around Seattle or is like New York City that sometimes make more sense to take public transportation? or would be just as easy to drive into the city, park somewhere and just wander around?

Thanks so much for your help.

western WA
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Family Travel
reviews: 14
1. Re: Alaskan cruise from Seattle

It is much more car friendly than NYC, but you don't necessarily need a car if staying downtown.

Staying at the airport is a bad idea. Would you stay at Newark for a quick visit to NYC? No. It is not a tourist-worthy area and is quite inconvenient.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
2. Re: Alaskan cruise from Seattle

If you're flying in at night, then I'd use a "free" night on arrival. The next day, taxi (early) into town and drop your bags at the "concierge" stand at the cruise terminal (Pier 66, right downtown) and then walk up to the Pike Place Market to see a few sights, buy some flowers for your cabin, etc. Your ship will basically be moored right below the Market.

However, when you return, DON'T stay at the airport, pay for a downtown hotel (or around Seattle Center) as you'll be off the boat early and can spend the full day(s) in the city. Memorial Day weekend is when a local "folklife" festival is held on the Seattle Center grounds, and it's a great way to spend a couple of hours - lots of music and arts, terrific food stalls and shops, visit the Space Needle, Chihuly glass exhibit, Pacific Science Center, etc.

http://www.nwfolklife.org/

Photo of what it's like: http://gardyloo.us/folklife2009%20013asm.JPG

Drop your bags at a hotel, then ride the monorail (or walk) to the Center, then monorail back downtown, see more sights, ride a ferry - whatever. Only go to the airport when you have to.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 84
3. Re: Alaskan cruise from Seattle

if you do stay by the airport you can do a city tour with a drop at the cruise ship. A few companies do this but look at

toursnorthwest.com

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 6
4. Re: Alaskan cruise from Seattle

Ainwa, that comparison to staying at Newark is spot on. I'm going to use it myself whenever someone asks this question. Teseo, it really is worth the money to stay downtown.

New York City, New...
reviews: 1
5. Re: Alaskan cruise from Seattle

Thanks so much. That's pretty much what i was thinking on doing. Taken the first free night and then stay in downtown or capitol hill. Thanks for the info about about memorial day holiday, i realized that i wrote the wrong holiday, we are going in august and we will be back over labor day weekend, any insides about that weekend?

western WA
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Family Travel
reviews: 14
6. Re: Alaskan cruise from Seattle

You said August, so I assumed Labor Day. Our Memorial Day is in late May. The two holidays are the bookends of summer.

Labor day weekend is going to be very, very busy. Bumbershoot music festival is Sat, Sun and Mon. That's at Seattle Center. You can still get to the Space Needle and Chihuly Glass.

Downtown, the PAX convention is going on. It is four days this year, Friday-Monday, and has 75,000 attendees. That will put a lot of pressure on hotel rooms, so book right away.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
7. Re: Alaskan cruise from Seattle

As mentioned, Bumbershoot occurs at Seattle Center over Labor Day weekend - lots and lots of music - surrounded by 200,000 of your new friends. The immediate neighborhood becomes very congested, but it's usually a ball, and generally the best weather of the year. http://bumbershoot.org/

Ditto the book early part.

8. Re: Alaskan cruise from Seattle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 01, 2014