We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good location for hotel.

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey, UK
reviews: 12
Good location for hotel.

Hi all,

I realise this question must have been asked countless time but even though I did a search I could not seem to find a clear answer to this one.

I am planning to be in Seattle at the end of July for a few days before heading off to Yellowstone Park and I was wondering whereabouts in the city to stay that would be convenient for the major attractions.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Ashley

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
reviews: 16
1. Re: Good location for hotel.

Hi Ashley,

Most visitors prefer staying in the Downtown Seattle area where attractions and sites are close, and public transportation is easy to access.

Which hotel is a good choice, and in a good location for you will depend on your budget, your traveling style, the amenities you prefer and who you are traveling with. Take a look at this traveler article that outlines the hotel locations and options, then get back to us with more details about your trip and we can help narrow the choices.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60878-c83685/Seattle…

Surrey, UK
2. Re: Good location for hotel.

Thanks IslandGrl.

I've just read the article you linked to and downtown seems to be an ideal location.

I have been checking hotel reviews here and elsewhere and I think I have narrowed it down to two in the Roy Street/5th Avenue location so most likely I will opt for one of them. They both have 4-5 star reviews here.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 83
3. Re: Good location for hotel.

those would be in the area of the Space Needle. Nice area however it will require a 1 1/2 mile walk to the heart of the city or the Monorail or bus. Not a big deal but not as good as the Sheraton, Westin, Hyatt or other downtown hotels. Mayflower Park is always a good choice as well. You can look at

\

hotwire.com

or

seattlesupersavers.com

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
reviews: 16
4. Re: Good location for hotel.

Hi Ashley,

I suspect you are looking at the Maxwell, and then not sure which other hotel. Remember 4-5* ratings on TA are helpful to travelers making decisions, but those ratings vary widely across all types of properties at all price points. As Des we are often amazed at which hotels take top rankings. It's really important to use the information to make the right decision for you.

As davidgmg indicated, the Space Needle/Queen area is popular with visitors, often because it is less expensive than the downtown core. It is less expensive because it is not quite convenient - for example if you want to take the Link Light Rail from the airport, that only gets you to the downtown core - you will have to take a bus, cab or monorail/walk to get to the Maxwell. That said, the Maxwell is a very good property, and very well may suit your needs when visiting Seattle.

For hotels in the "downtown" Seattle area, you will find properties in several areas, including the "downtown/convention center/retail core", Space Needle/Queen Anne area, South Lake Union area, and Pioneer Square/Stadium District.

Surrey, UK
5. Re: Good location for hotel.

Thanks for the replies all.

I was actually looking at three - Hampton Inn, Four Points and The Maxwell - but not booked anything as yet. I am sure it will be one of those as a 1.5 mile walk is no big deal to me - I regularly walk upwards of 10 miles just for a bit of exercise - and as you have pointed out there is always the monorail.

As much as it is nice to stay in the heart of the city I am not prepared to pay the price that this entails just for it being a little bit more convenient. I am not one for spending a lot of time in the hotel when I'm travelling - I would rather be out and about exploring the city. So as long as the rooms are clean and comfortable that's fine by me.

Thanks for all your advice it's been very helpful.

Edited: 12:28 pm, December 24, 2012
reviews: 740
6. Re: Good location for hotel.

The downtown area of Seattle is a great place to stay. We also enjoyed the waterfront area. Hotel Edgewater has a great shuttle service. Merry Christmas and enjoy your time in Seattle! :)

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 6
7. Re: Good location for hotel.

The Edgewater is way out of the OPs price range. Judging by his stated preference to save a little money and his comfort with a 20 minute walk into downtown, the three hotels he has singled out should do fine.

Surrey, UK
8. Re: Good location for hotel.

@Kaleberg - Thanks. All of the three I have short-listed have good reviews here and also on the hotel booking site I use so I'm sure any one of them will suit me fine.

I have to be concious of the budget as the few days in Seattle are followed by four nights in Yellowstone, back to Seattle for one/two nights and then onto Vancouver for four nights. So staying at four/five star hotels would be extremely expensive.

western WA
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Family Travel
reviews: 14
9. Re: Good location for hotel.

How are you getting to Yellowstone? Flying to a nearby town I hope. It is roughly 800 miles and is a day and a half or two day drive.

Surrey, UK
10. Re: Good location for hotel.

@ainwa

I am driving. I have allowed myself two days each way for the trip with an overnight stop somewhere along the route.

I will need a car when I'm down in Yellowstone so I decided I would rather get one in Seattle and drive to Yellowstone and back, that way I will see more of the country rather than just fly over it. I am also taking the train from Seattle to Vancouver for the same reason.