We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

san jose to oregon and seattle

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Anaheim, California
san jose to oregon and seattle

I am planing to drive to Oregon and Seattle with my family with kids 3yrs and 6 yrs in December. I like to stop by Crater Lake, Multnomah Falls, Boeing Factory and the famous tower in Seattle. I saw the note : "This road may be seasonally closed. Please advise us if you have any suggestion. Thank you very much or your information.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
reviews: 110
1. Re: san jose to oregon and seattle

It's not clear which road notice you saw. Many forest and back roads are closed during the winter due to heavy snow. December can be a very iffy time to be crossing mountain passes. The biggest problem you might face on your trip (unless you come up 101 and the Oregon Coast) will be the Siskiyous between Yreka, CA and Ashland, OR. The I-5 around the Shasta Lakes area can also be nasty when it's foggy or icy.

You should forget seeing Crater Lake in December. It's a major detour, the lodge is closed for the winter and if the weather is poor, you might not even see the lake.

Multnomah Falls and the Columbia Gorge would be a good day-trip out of Portland (if the gorge isn't an icy wind tunnel at the time). The road to Mt. St. Helens will also be snowy and the Johnston Ridge Observatory is closed for the winter.

In short, not a great time for travel in mountainous areas. Lots for kids to see and do, however, along the way. Just stay off forest roads and any that indicate seasonally closed. We have a few fatalities every year by people who ignore such warnings.

Anaheim, California
2. Re: san jose to oregon and seattle

Thank you very much for your helpful information. Actually we come from Los Angeles to visit relative in SJ and try to explore the northern. We will join the guesst from France to come with us. We had been to Arizona, Nevada and Utah on the last trip and I don't know where to take them this time. Due to the weather and distance from LA to Seattle, it might not a good time to visit there in December. I will try some other route then. We will take a week to Oahu and I like to have a road trip in the Western state. Thank again.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
reviews: 110
3. Re: san jose to oregon and seattle

Let us know when you figure out when you want to come up this way, what part of the Pacific NW you want to explore, what kind of time and money you can spend and what specific interests you have...and, then, many of us will be happy to offer our advice.

Anaheim, California
4. Re: san jose to oregon and seattle

We really like to take a drving trip to the Pacific NW. Our group have 3 little kids from 3-9 yrs and one grandmom 63 yrs and we are looking for natural or interested place which easy to access or short walking distance on the way to Seattle to see the sky tower and visit Boeing factory. We like to take 1,2 stops on the way there. Return to SJ on the 4th or 5th day. We have nerver been to the PNW before. Thank you for any advise.

5. Re: san jose to oregon and seattle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, December 16, 2013