We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving Seattle to Chicago around December 15

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
driving Seattle to Chicago around December 15

I would like some advice on driving from Seattle to Chicago around December 15th. Is there a best route I can take? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 53
1. Re: driving Seattle to Chicago around December 15

US- 212 to I-90 East...

Check it out on Mapquest...

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Washington
reviews: 7
2. Re: driving Seattle to Chicago around December 15

You might get more input if you post on the Road Trip forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 6
3. Re: driving Seattle to Chicago around December 15

Bring chains for your car. You may encounter severe weather at this time of year. When I drove from Chicago to Seattle in late November, I ran into a blizzard in South Dakota. It was terrifying. If you encounter a snow storm, get off the road and get to a motel. Watch the mountain passes, too.

4. Re: driving Seattle to Chicago around December 15

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:51 am, November 19, 2012
Dallas, Oregon
reviews: 300
5. Re: driving Seattle to Chicago around December 15

It's a straight shot across on I-90, but not the recommended time of year to be driving across the Cascades, the Rockies and the northern plains states. I ran into a South Dakota blizzard 45 years ago on a trip from the Quad Cities (northern Illinois) to the Black Hills. Yes, it's a bit scary!

Do you have to drive? If it was up to me, I'd book a direct flight from SeaTac to O'Hare -- no stops in Salt Lake City, Minneapolis or Denver. Good chance of snow delays there, too.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
reviews: 39
6. Re: driving Seattle to Chicago around December 15

Sally I agree do you have to drive? If you do I90 is about the only direct way, the weather is a crap shoot. On my many travels from here to Seattle on 3/4 of the occasions in mid December the roads are okay. From here over the Rockies the 4th of July pass is iffy but can be done. Just take your time and spend the night somewhere if there is a snow storm, wait it out and the snow plows will take care of it.

Collie

Davie, Florida
reviews: 2
7. Re: driving Seattle to Chicago around December 15

head east on I-90 and stop when you see the chicago sign.

The needing a map part was unecessary

western WA
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Family Travel
reviews: 14
8. Re: driving Seattle to Chicago around December 15

I agree with everyone above. You CAN do it, bit you must watch the weather and not be stupid. If there are storm warnings, get a hotel in the next town and hole up until it is cleared. Super 8 will give discounts for emergency stays. Bring blankets, food, water, flashlight, batteries and phone charging device in case you do get off the road or find yourself between towns when a blizzard hits.

I-90 is the only way that makes sense. Do post on road trips forum.

9. Re: driving Seattle to Chicago around December 15

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, December 16, 2013