We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recommendations for afternoon excursions

Which Skagway hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
reviews: 2
recommendations for afternoon excursions

We'll be in Skagway in June w/ HAL. My DH and I are doing van up (hopefully w/ Dyea Dave) and train back from Fraser which I understand will take most of the day. We're in port from 7-9:00 PM. Wanted to do Ocean Raft but looks like latest time is 3:00. Are there any other similar boat trips in Skagway? Also any other suggestions? We love the outdoors so can always hike the Dewey Lake trails.

Fritz Creek, Alaska
reviews: 58
1. Re: recommendations for afternoon excursions

Personally, when we are through with an allday excursion we just return to the ship as usually tired. You could just walk about Skagway, perhaps stopping off at the Red Onion or Skagway Brewery for a beer

MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
reviews: 24
2. Re: recommendations for afternoon excursions

Not sure when you get back to Skagway, but the National Park Service has some really good programs. Maybe you can do that before or after the Dyea Dave excursion. You do need tickets (free) for many of the activities, but you can pick those up first thing in the morning before going to the Yukon (I think the NPS opens at 8am).

Lots of hiking in/near Skagway. The Dewey Lake trails are one option as you mentioned. The trails on the other side of the airport are another option. Lower and Upper Reid Falls Trails are yet other options. There is a trail map online if you google Skagway Visitor Center or something like that. I don't have the trail map PDF link at my fingertips.

I commend you for wanting to maximize your time in port. Most cruise passengers are like k2iks who head back to the ship hours before the cruise ship departs the port. I tend to be one of the first ones off the ship and one of the last ones back on. I want to maximize my port times, which generally are short anyway. For me, the ship is cheap lodging and transportation. The ship's amenities and food are way down my list of priorities on an Alaska cruise.

You will find the streets of Skagway packed during the day but virtually empty after about 5-6pm. It is really the best time to visit Skagway. When I was there for several nights a couple of years ago for multiple hikes, it was amazing how all 10,000 cruise ship passengers abandoned the town in time for their 6pm meal. Can't miss a meal you paid for, you know :-).

Edited: 12:12 pm, February 15, 2013
Fritz Creek, Alaska
reviews: 58
3. Re: recommendations for afternoon excursions

fti - when you get old and cranky like me (80 in April) an all-day excursion is enough, such as our recent one to Acropolus (Athens) in November. That required a lot of walking and with my herniated disk......

4. Re: recommendations for afternoon excursions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 17, 2014