We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Kennesaw like?

Which Kennesaw hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denmark
reviews: 15
What is Kennesaw like?

I was wondering if you guys had any advice regarding a possible job opening for me in Kennesaw. At present I'm living in Denmark but I'm concidering a possibilty of getting a job in Kennesaw of all places ;o) I have to admit I have absolutely no knowledge about Kennesaw which is why I would appreciate any input you may have. Is it a nice and safe place? Any strange weather down there? Any input would be great. Thanks

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 25
1. Re: What is Kennesaw like?

Kennesaw is a fairly typical Atlanta suburban area -- semi-rural until about 20 years ago, it has seen an explosion of new subdivisions, shopping centers with all the usual chain stores and restaurants, etc. It's also home to Kennesaw State University, which has grown dramatically over the last couple of decades to become the third-largest university in Georgia, with over 20,000 students. If you're accustomed to living in a large urban area, living in Kennesaw would be a definite transition -- despite the massive population growth and its relative proximity to the city of Atlanta, it still feels like a very big small town. Generally speaking, it's as safe as any Atlanta-area suburb. The weather's what you'd generally expect from the Atlanta area -- hot and muggy in the summer, cooling off later in the fall and warming up earlier in the spring, typically with mild winters (temps below 0 Celsius aren't regular, but aren't rare either -- typically well above freezing). One snow or ice storm each winter is about average -- we had a couple this past winter. The Cobb County area (where Kennesaw is located) is probably slightly more prone to tornados than some other parts of metro Atlanta, but not dramatically so.

Kennesaw, GA
reviews: 12
2. Re: What is Kennesaw like?

Kennesaw is a nice place to raise a family but otherwise there's not a lot going on here. It has a good museum (an affiliate of the Smithsonian) and a very, very small "downtown area". It's convenient to Marietta which has more going for it. Also it's close to Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park which is a nice place to enjoy. This was where the major battle between Sherman's forces and the Conferates defenders took place during the Civil War. It's about as safe as it gets around here, I have no problem leaving my doors unlocked (although I usually do of course). There are some decent parks here and it's in general just a quite suburban town. Lot's of shopping close by, including a large mall. A major north/south interstate highway goes through (I-75) so it's easy to hop on and get places. Chattanooga, Tennessee is about an hour north.

If you're moving to the area I'd recommend looking into the Marietta area as well. The two cities ajoin and I like Marietta better, I grew up there. In any case it's as good a time to buy a house as we're likely to see in our lifetimes here.

Denmark
reviews: 15
3. Re: What is Kennesaw like?

Thanks a lot guys. If I decide to go for this possible opening I'll probably get back with many more questions ;o)

Roswell, GA
reviews: 4
4. Re: What is Kennesaw like?

You don't mention family, but if there are any school aged kids involved, you might consider locating a little further east. Nothing against Kennesaw or Marrietta, but the schools in North and East Cobb County are some of the best in the state

Kennesaw, GA
reviews: 42
5. Re: What is Kennesaw like?

This is ages ago, I know, but in case anyone else looks this post up, I will add that the public transit system -- though used by many -- is not the best. It really depends on if you happen to be on the bus routes. For me, to bus to work would involve over a quarter mile walk on major roads without sidewalks, and then a 30-40 minute bus ride. Instead, I drive 7-10 minutes. (Though the busses do have bike racks.)

Also on the matter of public transit, we have no Marta (i.e., subway) line out in our area. We do have express busses that make the trip downtown on weekdays, they run during rush hours only. Never taken them, but there's a big lot for those who do, near KSU.

atlanta ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 17
6. Re: What is Kennesaw like?

Having no MARTA access is one of the things that makes Kennesaw great. MARTA destroys neighborhoods.

7. Re: What is Kennesaw like?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 23, 2011