We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenai Fjords Nat'l ParkTours

Which Seward hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pfafftown, North...
reviews: 2
Kenai Fjords Nat'l ParkTours

Just wondering which boat is better for someone prone to motion sickness-catamaran or regular boat? Instead of doing the PWS cruise we are looking at the ones out of Seward b/c of the chance to see so much more wildlife and whales. I called both Kenai Fjord Tour and Major Marine operators and got different answers. One said the catamaran was more stable and the other said they have heard people comment both ways.Does it just depend on theseas that day? You would think with two hulls on the catamaran it would be more stable. Any advice?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 26
1. Re: Kenai Fjords Nat'l ParkTours

Generally I've also heard that the catamarans are more motion stable, whether in AK, Florida or Hawaii. That said, we were on one of them this past summer out of Seward and the water was rough and several people were seen green around the gills. But at the end of the day, whoever said it really depends on the seas may be most correct.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
reviews: 46
2. Re: Kenai Fjords Nat'l ParkTours

The seas can definitely make a huge difference, more so than what kind of boat your on. That is why there are some days that are turned into bay cruises instead of the normal route, the seas are just too rough.

Make sure to take precautions for any boat if prone to sickness.

Pfafftown, North...
3. Re: Kenai Fjords Nat'l ParkTours

Oh, I definitely plan to take Bonine or Dramamine just in case. Thanks for the insight. Any real difference b/w Kenai Fjords Tour and Major Marine? Are they both just as good as the other?

Edited: 7:49 pm, April 29, 2011
Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
reviews: 46
4. Re: Kenai Fjords Nat'l ParkTours

They both basically go in the same waters and see the same wildlife as they radio communicate letting each other know where wildlife is spotted.

Major Marine has an all you can eat prime rib/salmon buffet that I always enjoy along with reserved seating. A problem I've had with KFT is the 1st passengers on taking up all the tables and leaving their belongings there.

My favorite is Alaska Saltwater Lodge's tours with a max of 15 passengers and better yet is their combo with fishing.

Pfafftown, North...
5. Re: Kenai Fjords Nat'l ParkTours

I wondered if I could get some advice on the following itinerary. Still undecided on the vendor on a couple things but this is the general idea of what we are looking at.. We have not decided on lodging on day 5 and 6 yet. Any suggestions on what to do in Anchorage on Day 1? I had thought about the Glacier Trek at Matanuska Glacier but the price may be too steep along with everything thing else. $95.00/person including park fee.

Day 1-Arrive in Anchorage 3:40pm, p/u rental at 5:30, eat in Anchorage, walk around? Overnight in Wasilla-Alaska Lake Lucille B&B

Day 2-p/u supplies, drive to Denali National Park, stopping in Talkeetna for lunch and look around, drive 14 miles into park at Savage River Trail, hike, sled dog demo(4pm) visitor center/film-Overnight Denali Princess Lodge

Day 3-Bus shuttle into park-Eielson Center, hike trails-Mt Healy, around Eielson Center-Overnight Denali Princess Lodge

Day 4-Drive Savage River Trail, white water rafting with Denali Raft Adventures or Denali Park Resort, drive to Hatcher Pass-Overnight?

Day 5- Drive Glen Hwy to Matanuska Glacier, hike Butte Trail in Palmer, Reindeer and/or Musk Ox Farms, Thunderbird Trail, Anchorage Heritage Museum(?)Ship Creek Glen Alps Trail-Overnight?

Day 6-Drive to Seward, stops along Turnigan Arm, Portage Glacier Lodge, Byron Glacier, Girdwood-ride tram or Winner Creek Trail? Exit Glacier, Alaska Sea Life Center, walk around Seward-dinner at Glacier Lodge restaurant-Overnight Salmon Bake Cabins

Day 7-Kenai Fjords Tours (with Major Marine or Kenai Fjord Tours 10am or 11:30am-7.5 or 6hrs)-dinner at Ray’s waterfront restaurant-Overnight Salmon Bake Cabins

Day 8-Drive to Homer-stop in Cooper Landing at Russian River Falls, volcano viewing at Anchor Point, Pratt Museum, water taxi across the bay?, Homer Spit-Overnight Alaska Beach House B&B

Day 9-Sea Kayaking with St Augustine-9am-1:30am, beachcombing, water taxi across the bay, Homer Spit-Overnight Alaska Beach House B&B

Day 10-Drive to Anchorage-shop, Weekend Market-turn in car at 5:30pm -flight at 8:40pm

MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
reviews: 24
6. Re: Kenai Fjords Nat'l ParkTours

I assume you know that the Denali Princess is 95% cruisetour passengers. Nice for the amenities but a totally different atmosphere than most independent travelers want.

>>Day 1-Arrive in Anchorage 3:40pm, p/u rental at 5:30, eat in Anchorage, walk around? Overnight in Wasilla-Alaska Lake Lucille B&B

Are you picking up the car at the airport or in the city? I realize the 24-hour day rule with car rentals, but I would try to pick up your car soon after arrival and just return it about that time on Day 10. You get a 30 to 60 minute grace period (check with the rental company which it is). And it lets you get going a bit sooner. I might stop at Thunderbird Falls for a hike on your way to Wasilla.

>>Day 3-Bus shuttle into park-Eielson Center, hike trails-Mt Healy, around Eielson Center-Overnight Denali Princess Lodge

Depending on when you are going, I would book the shuttle bus to Wonder Lake. If the Mountain is not visible, get off at Eielson and catch a different bus back to the entrance. But if the Mountain is out, you will be glad you already have a reservation to Wonder Lake.

>>Day 4-Drive Savage River Trail, white water rafting with Denali Raft Adventures or Denali Park Resort, drive to Hatcher Pass-Overnight?

I would consider Denali Outdoor Center (DOC). Ask them if they match competitor coupons. They will say no, but might offer you a discount. Great reputation and great trip. Not that the others are not, but DOC is a locally-owned company, year-round residents. The others are 100% tourist operations (not that DOC doesn't cater to tourist, but I hope you see what I mean).

>>Day 5- Drive Glen Hwy to Matanuska Glacier, hike Butte Trail in Palmer, Reindeer and/or Musk Ox Farms, Thunderbird Trail, Anchorage Heritage Museum(?)Ship Creek Glen Alps Trail-Overnight?

A lot to cover. I am assuming you will only do some but not all of those options. Depending on how much you want to do that day, perhaps stay in Eagle River or drive to Girdwood and stay there.

>>Day 8-Drive to Homer-stop in Cooper Landing at Russian River Falls, volcano viewing at Anchor Point, Pratt Museum, water taxi across the bay?, Homer Spit-Overnight Alaska Beach House B&B

By the time you get to Homer, I am not sure you will find a company that will give you a water taxi across the bay that will also pick you up the same evening. Where do you want to go and what do you want to do? Hiking in Kachemak Bay State Park is at least a 1/2 day activity and you wouldn't get there until mid afternoon with the other stops.

>>Day 9-Sea Kayaking with St Augustine-9am-1:30am, beachcombing, water taxi across the bay, Homer Spit-Overnight Alaska Beach House B&B

Again, what are you trying to do/see with the water taxi and where "across the bay"?

>>Day 10-Drive to Anchorage-shop, Weekend Market-turn in car at 5:30pm -flight at 8:40pm

If dropping off the car in the city, you might drive to the airport and check in, also drop off your luggage. Then return the car. Then you only have your carry on items with you from the rental company back to the airport. I personally hate carting my heavy checked luggage from rental car to taxi, out of taxi, etc.

Pfafftown, North...
7. Re: Kenai Fjords Nat'l ParkTours

Yes, I assume the Denali Princess Lodge is full of cruise tour people but they offered this really good deal on rates a month or so ago that I thought we could not pass up-$99/night .

I will look at booking Wonder Lake b./c like you said if the mountain is out we may regret not having the option.

We are picking up the car at the airport. I looked at picking it up in the city but logistically it didn't seem to fit with the time we wuld have to turn it back in. Out flight leaves at 8:40pm and it seems like all the city rental places close at 5pm.

Homer-I was thinking about the idea of a water taxi trip to look at wildlife and maybe hike. Something like Rainbow Tours or Mako,etc... We are planning to do kayaking and we will get a mini tour of sorts on the way to the tour but didn't know how much.

Any suggestions on places to stay in Girdwood or Eagle River? Need to keep the night rate below $150.

Thanks

8. Re: Kenai Fjords Nat'l ParkTours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, October 28, 2012