We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seward 3-Day Itinerary Questions

Which Seward hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, Virginia
reviews: 3
Seward 3-Day Itinerary Questions

Will be in Seward for three days in early July, taking train from Anchorage so won't have car. Have accomodations taken care of but would very much welcome any thoughts on following itinerary & questions:

Day one -- arrive from ANC; take shuttle to do Exit Glacier in afternoon. Easily do-able?

Day two -- Full day glacier/bay tour. Any real difference between Kenai Fjords or Major Marine?

Day three -- Kayak in morning (recommendations?), rent bikes and explore town in afternoon, then catch evening train back to ANC.

Does this sound reasonable? Any views as to how far in advance I need to make reservations? Thank you.

MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
reviews: 24
1. Re: Seward 3-Day Itinerary Questions

I think your plan is very doable. Reserve the Exit Glacier shuttle as soon as you get off the train - their office is right across the street. You arrive at 11am on the train, so maybe plan a 1 or 2pm shuttle. That gives you enough time to drop your luggage at your hotel and get something for lunch. I assume without a car that your hotel is in town.

There are ranger-led walks so check nps.gov/kena for times. You might also want to check with Exit Glacier Guides as to the time of their last shuttle.

Another option is to switch day 1 and 2. It would give you more time on Day 2. Day 1 have the Kenai Fjord tour company meet you at the train. They store your luggage during the boat tour, back about 6pm, check into your hotel.

That gives you all of day 2 free - maybe morning Exit Glacier and afternoon Sealife Center, or vice versa?

The three Kenai Fjords boat companies are very similar. I would check into using a 2-for-1 coupon and choose by that.

John

Harrisburg...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Seward 3-Day Itinerary Questions

If one of your nights is a Sunday night, check and see if Hobo Jim is playing at the Yukon Bar. Be warned, it will be smokey and packed like sardines but a great chance to see a good performer (he represented AK at the World Fair) and have a good time with the locals.

3. Re: Seward 3-Day Itinerary Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:40 am, September 27, 2009