We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Island favorite restaurants

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Englewood, Ohio
reviews: 62
Big Island favorite restaurants

What are your favorite restaurants on the Big Island?

Pearl River, New...
reviews: 5
11. Re: Big Island favorite restaurants

I thought Pahu i`a in the Four Seasons was excellent, if you are into that scene. Nice and almost on the beach, except for a walkway.

Island of Hawaii...
reviews: 24
12. Re: Big Island favorite restaurants

I am sorry for not being very clear about the Mahamahi. Yes, there are restaurants here serving fresh Mahimahi but there are many that don't. Ask if it is fresh or frozen. Interesting posting about the frozen fish though. I always thought only Ahi was good for Sashimi until I visited Japan and had a chance to eat many different kind of fresh fish Sashimi style.

Washington DC...
reviews: 219
13. Re: Big Island favorite restaurants

Agree that "where the locals go" and "view" are pretty much contrary. Local pay scales don't fit the places tourists go (except for special occasions) and locals need not pay to sit by the water!

That said, these places are not cheap but have good view and ambiance:

Huggos--decent food, the simpler the dish the better, ok service, GREAT view and ambiance, reserve early for a waterside table. It's out on pilings over the water. It's in the south end of Kailua Town.

Brown's Beach House--very good food, good service, GORGEOUS view, music. More expensive than Huggos but better than Huggos. It's at the Fairmont Orchid.

People like Quinn's, Kona Brew Pub, Pesto's etc. But they have no water view whatsoever and if I am only going ot be near the sea for 2 weeks a year, I will pay to eat looking at it every night I can!

Orange County, CA
14. Re: Big Island favorite restaurants

I know it got mixed reviews on this forum, but we had a fantastic dinner at Jameson's in Kailua-Kona, out on the patio at sunset.

We had a decent meal at Huggo's - the food was pretty good, but it was the atmosphere you go there for. Again, we had a table overlooking the water, and it's fun to watch the eels come up on the rocks below because the Huggo's staff is throwing food to them (do they still do that? This was a few years ago).

We had the best meal of our trip at Waimea Ranch House in Kamuela. Mmmmmm.....

Los Angeles
reviews: 1
15. Re: Big Island favorite restaurants

I second the vote on Bamboo in Hawi! We LOVED it!

The food was excellent and the drinks even better! The ambience is very Hawaiian.

Then after dinner, there is excellent ice cream across the road. Sorry I can't remember the name of the place!

DJHS

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
16. Re: Big Island favorite restaurants

I want to say it's Tropical Dreams ice cream, but could have it mixed up.

Bamboo Restaurant is a favorite for residents too. Do make reservations, as it is the only real dining room in North Kohala and it's a long way to drive to find out it's full.

Homegrown North Kohala slack key guitar master John Kiawe usually plays there once a week. (generally Fridays, but subject to change)

17. Re: Big Island favorite restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, August 20, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona