We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 day Big Island Proposed Itinerary

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Troy, New York
6 day Big Island Proposed Itinerary

Hello! I have been enjoying this forum and the comments in the last week, as I've been planning the details of my vacation at the end of the month. I wanted to put my proposed itinerary out there and get some feedback. We arrive in Kona early on Dec 27th (flight to Honolulu from the U.S. east coast the previous day).

As a note, we decided the top priorities for this trip were surfing, snorkeling and Volcanos National Park. We're also interested in Whale Watching and the Observatory. It will be just me and my fiancee on this trip (28 and 34 yrs old), no kids.

Day 1: Kona: Morning: Surf Lesson with "Surfer Bear" on Kahalu'u Beach, Afternoon: Coffee Plantation Tour and relax at hotel, Evening: Dinner at the Sheraton to see the Manta Rays (We stay at the Royal Kona Resort this night, all other nights we are staying in Volcano Village)

Day 2: Kona to Volcano Village: Morning: Snorkel near Captain Cook (Kealakekua Bay, Ke’ei Beach or Honaunau Bay), Ka'u (Na'alehu) Farmers Market (Saturday). Afternoon: Punalu‘u Black Sand Beach, Check into Guest House, trip to Volcano Winery. Evening: Jaggar Museum or Volcano House restaurant to see crater edge at night.

Day 3: Volcano National Park: Breakfast at Volcano Village Farmer's Market (Sunday), Hike Kilauea’iki Trail, Visit Thurston Lava Tuba, Chain of Crater Road. Evening: Jaggar Museum or Volcano House restaurant, if not done before.

Day 4: Hot Springs: Morning: Champagne Pond at Cape Kumukahi. Afternoon: Lava Tree State Monument, Ahalanui hot spring in Pohoa or Pohoiki Warm Spring in Isaac Hale Beach Park. Dinner and lunch in Pahoa. Drive to Kaimu Beach via Kapoho Kalapana Road for sunset, if lava is flowing.

Day 5: Hilo: Morning: Akaka Falls, Umauma Falls, World Botanical Garden or Hawaii Botanical Garden. Afternoon: Whale watching trip in Hilo or swimming and snorkeling at Richardson's beach. Evening: Mauna Kea Observatory - tour to the summit at sunset or just do free trip to visitor's center for star gazing.

Day 6: Volcano Village to Kona: Surf or Whale Watch in Kona or Kohala coast, if lack of waves/whales did not permit this previously. Lunch at the Four Seasons or walk around downtown for the day. Flight at 4:00.

How does that sound???

Some specific questions I have:

- Should we pay for a (licenced) kayak guide for Kealakekua Bay, or just skip it and do Honaunau Bay on our own for snorkeling? Has anyone snorkeled on Ke’ei Beach (southern part of Kealakekua Bay)? We have both snorkeled once or twice before, but aren't super experienced. We also don't have our own equipment.

- Has anyone visited the three hot springs mentioned? Which are the best? Champagne Pond sounds interesting to me, but to get there you have to do a half hour hike over lava fields - is it worth it when the other two are easily accessible?

- It is worth it to pay to go to the observatory summit, or is the visitor center comparable?

Thank you so much in advance!!

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
reviews: 41
41. Re: 6 day Big Island Proposed Itinerary

Folks, Shea and KK are Hawai`i Island DE's for a reason. They live there, and they're in touch with things. They know what they're talking about. I'd sooner take advice from a resident than a website or blog I've never heard of. Seems to me that if Tropicalsnorkeling.com were so good it would be all over the Hawai`i forums. It's not.

ETA: It should be noted that Tropical Snorkeling is a commercial site.

Edited: 9:27 pm, December 10, 2013
42. Re: 6 day Big Island Proposed Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, December 11, 2013
43. Re: 6 day Big Island Proposed Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 13, 2014