We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

royal kona resort

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
royal kona resort

Planning January trip. What is good and not so good about this place.

1. Re: royal kona resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:26 am, October 09, 2013
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
reviews: 13
2. Re: royal kona resort

My son and daughter-in-law have enjoyed a number of stays at the Royal Kona Resort...last one was in Feb. They love it. We stay in a nearby condo but the Don the Beachcomber Bar is always worth a visit for happy hour and an amazing sunset view

3. Re: royal kona resort

Expect to be in kona for 8 days, golfing for 4+. 2 seniors making aother visit to state after 20 years. Also 4days at VNP/Hilo.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
4. Re: royal kona resort

Where do you plan to golf? The Kona Country Club was closed, last I heard.

I would suggest you look at South Kohala too. I think it is nicer, and the best golf courses are up there. It would help though if you zoom in on where you plan to play. Youʻre looking at $30-40 in gas to make runs and up down the coast, so for budget reasons I would recommend staying close.

If it has been 20 years, you have not seen all the nice resort accommodations and dining options that were built near Anaehoʻomalu Bay and Mauna Lani in the last ten years. Itʻs a whole different island when it comes to choices, and Kailua Kona is considered rather run down these days. (I know mamma does not agree, but many others do.)

The RKR has certainly seen better days.

If you have not been for 20 years, you probably havenʻt seen Kailua Kona be really voggy the way it is now.

I would suggest you read the Top Questions on lodging, to see a wide range of people talk about their favorites. There is one for Hilo or VNP as well. (In January, I would pick Hilo for the warmth.)

Because it is January and the east side weather could be bad, I would suggest more like ten days west and two days east. With ten days, you can get an attractive deal on a condo.

I would suggest looking around Waikoloa Beach and looking for a 3 bedroom 3 BA condo, if I understand rightly that there are six of you total, and if 3 bedrooms and baths is enough.

Reedsburg, Wisconsin
reviews: 231
5. Re: royal kona resort

Don the Beachcomber is home to the best Mai Tia's I've ever had. I really enjoyed my stay

There but I don't know what type of accommodations your used too.

Edited: 10:49 pm, October 06, 2013
6. Re: royal kona resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 pm, October 24, 2013
Reedsburg, Wisconsin
reviews: 231
7. Re: royal kona resort

Like I said I enjoyed my stay there and the Mai Tai's were apart of the experience but I couldn't say if they would like it based on the information given. Some people are just looking for a cheap place to stay and they get the Hawaii culture when they visit other places on the island but again you can't tell that from the information given.

I was just giving my experience and I would stay there again. To each their own is correct.

Edited: 12:02 am, October 07, 2013
8. Re: royal kona resort

More info about us. 2 seniors 70 +. Active, golf,hiking, any outdoors, from western Colorado. Like I said been 20 years since last in Hawaii. Two yaers ago cruised small ship in French Polynesia. So tell me about Royal Kona resort and Kona area please.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
9. Re: royal kona resort

If you go up a step in the forum chain to the Island of Hawaiʻi forum, you will see the Top Questions on the right side of the page. Please read the ones relating to Kona, and I think you should look at the Kohala ones too.

I really donʻt have the time to write all about Kona with every new visitor. I am just a volunteer. That is why we do the Top Questions, to give you information so we donʻt have to repeat ourselves, and to let you hear from other people who donʻt post all the time, by linking previous topics.

I thought the 4+ 2 seniors in your post meant 4 people + 2 seniors, but now I see what you were doing. Two people then.

Like I said, if you plan to golf a lot, you should start by figuring out where you plan to golf so that you donʻt need to drive an hour to get there. How much do you plan to spend golfing, etc..

The Kona Country Club Ocean course is closed for renovations. Looks like the mountain course is open, SheaG would know.

Please read the reviews for RKR to get a spread of what people are saying. As you will see, opinions vary. Some love it, and others say it is barely OK, and that is in recent reviews. Only you know your standards. If you like something that has been updated, both Courtyard Marriott and Sheraton Keauhou are better choices in the Kailua Kona area.

I personally would suggest you look into getting a condo.

My personal opinion of Kailua Kona is I wouldnʻt stay there; I would stay north up by the Marriott. So that is my personal opinion, but I have pretty specific taste about how I like a hotel to look, and RKR is not it for me.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
reviews: 67
10. Re: royal kona resort

I personally think the RKR is a low end hotel with a cheap vibe in a touristy town that has seen better days. It's not a "resort" in any normal understanding of the term. There's nothing Hawaiiana about it, and I don't consider mai tais or happy hour relevant to either Hawaiian culture or lodging choice. As noted, as golfers you will want to be on the South Kohala coast, and that's also where the best weather and lodging happens to be.

The RKR does seem to suit people who want to be close to lots of bars.

Edited: 1:33 am, October 07, 2013