We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back from Kona

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
reviews: 11
Just got back from Kona

It was a wonderful relaxing week in Kona for us. We stayed at the Sheraton. A great place! We had an ocean front room which I highly recommend. The Sheraton has a fantastic pool that meanders around allowing for more privacy than expected. Most families with children congregated in a couple of kid-friendly areas leaving the other areas quieter. Not that noise was a problem. They have a huge waterfall which drowns out most noises while adding a very pleasant sound. They have plenty of poolside chairs -- some resorts have too few. The food in the Kai restaurant is overpriced but it's a good place for breakfast. The Crystal Blue is a wonderful setting for a lounge. Their bar menu is reasonable - we had dinner there one night while watching the sunset. Our package included free mai tais each evening -- nice touch.

We also ate at a few restaurants that had been recommended on this forum. Huggo's, Huggo's On the Rocks, and Jamison's. All have nice views of the water. I wouldn't rave about the food at any of them but it didn't matter to us -- the setting was more important.

We drove to VNP in one day (against the advice given here). It was no problem. Maybe we missed a few things but we saw what we wanted to see and even stopped at Akatsuka Orchid grower to buy orchids for friends arriving back at the Sheraton in time for our mai tais! That day we had lunch at a small place in Volcano Village (I can't remember the name of it now).

One more thing --- after having asked this forum about the halfway to Hawaii contest on United Airlines (which I had never won in my 8 or 9 previous trips) I actually came in 3rd place this time! As no one on this forum had any surefire tips on how to win, I used my normal combination of math and guessing, so I still think it's mostly luck. But it's fun.

The weather in Kona was absolutely perfect the whole time we were there. Wam with very little humidity.

The only negative was the traffic. Just a minor issue really. I'm glad we were at the Sheraton -- away from the noise, traffic and crowds.

Tulsa
1. Re: Just got back from Kona

Ok, you can call me a cheater. We're flying out on Saturday. Where did you fly from and what did you guess? :)

USA
2. Re: Just got back from Kona

We flew out of SFO. My guess won't really help you because the variables will be different. But all I did was figure out what the midpoint would be if there were no variables. Then, since we had a headwind and since I know the first half is slower due to the airplane being heavier with more unspent fuel onboard, I just added 13 minutes to the first number and then subtracted a few seconds for fun. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize winners were all within about 90 seconds of each other.

Good luck! It's a fun gimmick and just adds to the holiday feeling as you fly to Hawaii.

Palm Springs...
reviews: 62
3. Re: Just got back from Kona

the half way concept is not miles it is time based on gross time wheels up to wheels down The cockpit computor knows the prettymuch exact time...

When the flightdeck tells you the estimated time enroute divide it in half forget miles .

Redondo Beach,CA
reviews: 1
4. Re: Just got back from Kona

We will be at the Sheraton in 2 weeks. Any room location suggestions? No kids, we are celebraing our 25th anniversary. I have been concerned about our decision to stay here after reading some of the posts. Thanks

USA
5. Re: Just got back from Kona

We were in room 1401 (4th floor). It has a fantastic view of the ocean and the sunset. I'd suggest that you try to get a room in that wing. The 4th floor is the top floor of that wing. One of the other wings has 7 floors I believe but that wing is not as close to the water and although I'm not positive about this I don't believe any of those rooms were oceanfront.

Don't worry about the Sheraton. It's a first rate place. Our experience was great. The service was good, the room was clean. The pool is really fantastic. If you like to just relax alongside a pool this is the place. It isn't just a run of the mill rectangular pool. This pool seems like 3 or 4 pools because of the design.

Another interesting feature at the Sheraton is the manta ray feeding area. Just below the Crystal Blue lounge is an area where the ocean waves break onto the rocks and the Sheraton feeds the manta rays. I never saw anyone actually "feed" them so I don't know how that's done but we did stand along the rail and watch those magnificent creatures (they are huge!) swimming gracefully in and out of the surf. So beautiful. I'd never seen anything like it in my life. This is visible just after sunset for several hours. They have lights on the water so it's easy to see the manta rays. No charge for this great nature show.