We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental on Big Island

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 21
Car rental on Big Island

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to ask a question about car rental on the Big Island. We will be there for a week and so far prices from the National rental places are steep. How important is it to have a car with 4 wheel drive? We are adventurous and plan on exploring but are not sure if we really need a Jeep with 4WD or if we could take a smaller car to get around the island. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Los Angeles
reviews: 45
11. Re: Car rental on Big Island

The quickest way to ruin your vacation is to do something you're not suppose to do. Unless you rent a 4X4 from Harpers, don't think about taking a regular rental anywhere off road - it would be better to take a tour. And unless you plan to do alot of off-roading a 4X4 is not worth it.

Just rent a regular vehicle; however, make sure it's a comfy ride. We rented the Buick LaCrosse and with the amount of driving we ended up doing on the BI, we were glad we did.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 41
12. Re: Car rental on Big Island

If you do decide to get a 4x4 anyway you should just keep checking the prices. There is less competition on the BI so prices are higher. If you come in on a busy week like the Merry Monarch festival you have to book way in advance to get any kind of low rate. We did get a $148 weekly rate from alamo for 4-6 thru 12. This was for a mid sized SUV. The upgraded me for free when they did not have the car and that cost me plenty in Gas.

When I checked my rates in Honolulu for the next week I modified my reservation and checked the price (dollar) and my rate decreased by $20 to $125 for a full sized Dodge Magnum (lots of room for our junk). The rates are crazy.