We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Food at reasonable prices

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
reviews: 54
Good Food at reasonable prices

We will be spending a total of one month in Hawaii. Could you rcommend some non touristy, reasonabley priced restaurants, for dinner. We do not care about ambiance or decor, but do care about the cleanliness of the place and the quality and taste of the food. Perhaps some "locals" or repeat visitors could tell us what are their favorites and what they recommend on the menu. We will be staying in Kapaa, Kona, Lahaina and Waikkiki. Bercause of the length of our stay, we cannot eat at "special" restaurants every night. Thank you for any help .

Seattle, WA
reviews: 1
21. Re: Good Food at reasonable prices

I just returned from a week in Kona. Most of the replies to twodogs have been accurate, with one notable exception. My family and I were looking foward to dining at Oodles of Noodles (Oh's) based on some of the postings and based on the review in "The Big Island Revealed". Well, not only did the wait staff totally ignore us, they acted as though they were irritated that we were even there. After being totally ignored for 20 minutes by our waitress, we decided to ask for service, but by that time she had totally dissapeared, and everybody else was way too busy with their own tables to be of help. After another 15 minutes we gave them what they wanted and just left. This really ruined our entire evening since we were looking forward to a good dinner, and by the time we finally left, it was almost 9PM and most of the other restaurants in Kona were starting to close.

The food can be good at a restaurant, but if the service is this bad, you're not going to enjoy your meal anyways.

Pleasant Hill...
reviews: 2
22. Re: Good Food at reasonable prices

In Lahina, go to Burgers in Paradise. Its right on the water. They have breakfast. Try the loco moco they serve.I had that for breakfast. Its 2 scoops of rice, on top is 1 hamburger patty, on top of that is 1 fried egg, topped off with brown gravy. It's filling and reasonable and will last you all day. If you get onions and mushrooms with it, thats extra.

For dinner, go to the Aloha Mixed Plate, just up the road on the left (oceanside, next the the Luau). They are known for their coconut fried shrimp. These are butterflyed and deepfried in coconut. Served with seet dipping sauce. Also the various mixed plate lunches are good.

In Kona, for lunch, try L & L BBQ. Thats where you get various types of mixed plate lunches with rice and mac salad and marinated meats, fishes and of course Spam. I was there Thurs for lunch and ordered the"Bento Special" for $7. Got the rice, no mac salad, deep fried Ahi tuna, bbq chicken and spam.

The Hawaiian style bbq's or the mixed plate lunches are the best for your money I think.

The Big Island
23. Re: Good Food at reasonable prices

Big Island Grill and Quinn's are the places to go to get value and good food.

Redding, California
reviews: 5
24. Re: Good Food at reasonable prices

Ditto on the Aloha mixed plate in Lahaina--great, cheap food, right on the water!

Superstein--whatever you do, don't eat at the Volcano House restaurant. Bad, Bad, Bad, and expensive besides!

Portland, OR, USA
25. Re: Good Food at reasonable prices

The Ocean View Inn near the sea wall in downtown Kailua has killer grinds for cheap, bra. Pretty much locals only. Good food!

Portland, OR, USA
26. Re: Good Food at reasonable prices

Although it has been recommended many times, I was not impressed by the Big Island Grill. Ate there twice in one week, so it wasn't just a fluke.

Portland, OR, USA
27. Re: Good Food at reasonable prices

Lahina? Wrong island.

Palm Springs...
reviews: 68
28. Re: Good Food at reasonable prices

Hi

An up date ocean view inn has been sold and will soon close.

sold for 3.5 mil..... last month..... will close soon..... word has it that Hard Rock might move there.

HD