We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a nice restaurant at the Kona airport?

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
reviews: 11
Is there a nice restaurant at the Kona airport?

In order to avoid paying for an extra day, we will need to turn our rental car in before 7 PM. Our flight doesn't leave until 9:30 PM. We were thinking we should have dinner at the airport. On the KOA website I see a place called Maxwell's Landing but without any further info. Is it a nice place? Are there other restaurants at the airport?

Honolulu, Hawaii
1. Re: Is there a nice restaurant at the Kona airport?

The guest services available at the Kona Airport are at the minimum level. The "restaurant" is a small cafeteria-style facility (with small adjoining bar), where you walk through a line pick out a sandwich, chips, fruit, etc., or order something mundane from the grill, and pay the cashier at the end of the row.

It is absolutely nothing special, and slightly below the quality and extent available at either the Maui (Kahului) or Kauai (Lihue) airports. Like all of them, the food is waaay overpriced.

It's one thing if you are really hungry or you want to fill your boredom with a little snack food, but certainly nothing to make a "plan to visit" over.

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 5
2. Re: Is there a nice restaurant at the Kona airport?

You might want to compare the rates available at: discounthawaiicarrental.com

In comparison to the standard one hour grace period, the times we've used them the grace period has been as much as four hours. Knock on wood, we've never been disappointed with their service; nor do I recall seeing negative comments from anyone on these pages.

The differential would allow you plenty of time to have a nice dinner at your favorite restaurant.

Palm Springs...
reviews: 68
3. Re: Is there a nice restaurant at the Kona airport?

there is nothing within 7 miles... of the airport....

Rochester Hills, MI
reviews: 1
4. Re: Is there a nice restaurant at the Kona airport?

i would get a take out at one of the restaurants in Kona or at the Kings Shops (depending on which way you are coming from) and eat it at the airport.

The burgers at the "restaurant" were only ok.

USA
5. Re: Is there a nice restaurant at the Kona airport?

Kamaainawannabe, thank you for mentioning DiscountHawaiiCarRentals. That is where I got the car (thanks to info I read here) but I didn't know they had a liberal grace period. I've emailed them to ask about it. That would definitely solve the problem.

Albuquerque, New...
6. Re: Is there a nice restaurant at the Kona airport?

You're welcome sunny; even if your original reservation didn't feature an extended grace period, I'd be willing to bet that Ron will be able to accomodate you. He's a nice, and amazingly attentive & patient, fellow.

kama

USA
7. Re: Is there a nice restaurant at the Kona airport?

I did hear back from DiscountHawaiiCars and was told that up to 59 minutes late would be forgiven. That's great to know. The person who emailed me was Jerry -- not the same person you named.

Albuquerque, New...
8. Re: Is there a nice restaurant at the Kona airport?

I'll see if I can get in touch with Ron.

Albuquerque, New...
9. Re: Is there a nice restaurant at the Kona airport?

Hi sunny,

Just received an email from Jerry: "That program (4 hour grace) was discontinued, sorry. The grace period is now 59 minutes everywhere. Any overtime will be charged at 1/3 of the daily rate per hour. Return your vehicle within 59 minutes of your checkout time and they will grace the overtime charge".

I'd guess that when you consider the grace, collect your bags, take the shuttle and wait in-line, you'll be pretty close to acceptable timing of the return anyway. If you want to give yourself a little more leeway, why not have a smoothie at KOA when you arrive (highly recommend the strawberry/banana).

Jerry also suggested the following link for convenient restaurants: 10best.com/koa/restaurants/seafood/index.html Now I challenge the Discount Hawaii Car Rental competition to top that for service!!!

USA
10. Re: Is there a nice restaurant at the Kona airport?

Kama, Thank you being so helpful. I just looked at the restaurant link. Choosing places to eat will be fun.