We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
reviews: 9
Honeymoon

I know that this has probably been answered before but I have not found any posts that give a general overview and answer to my question.

Which island would you go on honeymoon in Hawaii? Or which islands, and where? What hotels do you recommend? Any packages I could look into that would include a car? How does it work?

I am afraid that I know zilch about hawaii but we really want to look into it as a possibility for our honeymoon in september this year.

Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

California
1. Re: Honeymoon

I'm in the same boat as you. My husband and I are planning our belated honeymoon in June for 2 weeks and so far all I know is that he wants to go to the Big Island and Maui.

Washington DC...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Honeymoon

Hi Caramela,

I'll try to help but the best thing that I can say is that whatever you decide, you will be happy.

With that said, you should post what experiences that are most important to you. Surfing, snorkeling, beaches, volcano, luaus, etc. However, there are certain specific things that might be the most important such as Pearl Harbor, Waikiki, Volcanos (I had to see lava), Road to Hana, Mountain Bike down Haleakala, Weamea Canyon, etc.

If you can, write a post that addressed what experiences are most important and how long you plan on being in Hawaii. I'll check back.

Andy

Palm Springs...
reviews: 68
3. Re: Honeymoon

the Big Island has 2 of the finest honeymoon hotels that have been doing this to perfection since 1960.......

The Mauna Kea and its perfect beach and very private and tropical grounds

Then check you Kona Village resort.... a gated complex of luxurious hawaiian and Tahitian huts... no tv or radio.... all inclusive including 3 meals a day , activities and Luau even has its own air strip.atmosphere you can cut with a knife

Island of Hawaii...
reviews: 24
4. Re: Honeymoon

Dan is right on the money, the Kona Village IS the honeymoon place on the Big Island. In addition, September is their "no kids" month (May is "no kids" too) and even though some people think it's expensive, I don't think it's expensive at all if you take the free meals and free activities into consideration.

Washington DC...
reviews: 1
5. Re: Honeymoon

If you are set on going to the Big Island, I think the Mauna Kea isn't a bad choice, but I do have some concerns. We stayed at the Hapuna Beach Prince which is next to the Mauna Kea. We went over to see the luau one night. I thought the grounds were beautiful. The setting was fantastic. The lobby was beautiful. However, I read some complaints about the rooms though. I can't comment though. This hotel is located about 30 minutes north of Kona airport. "Downtown" is about 15 miles south of the airport. So if you're happy with not leaving the resort, this might be a good idea. You do have a great beach, restaurants, luau on site, etc. There is even a mini mart not far to the north to buy a few things because everything seems exceptionally expensive. There is a lot to see downtown and the location makes it a litle inconvenient.

Personally, if I was to do it again, I'd stay down in Kona. Possibly the Kona Villiage but I have not did much research.

On Maui, we stayed at the Royal Lahaina Resort. Although it gets some bad reviews, we loved it. However, if it was our honeymoon, I would have liked to stay at the Hyatt. Kaanapali is great because it has great public transportation locally and even has suttles to Lahaina and back. I would not go to Hawaii and not go to Maui unless I knew for a fact that I was going back. Like they say on the island, "Maui's the best."

Philadelphia, Pa
reviews: 2
6. Re: Honeymoon

I can comment on the rooms at the Mauna Kea. I've stayed in several. The mountain view rooms face the entrance which is busy until 11pm. If sitting on the Lani is important get a beach front or ocean front room. All rooms are classic. They have marble floors and dark wood furniture. There is a sitting area, a desk, a good sized bathroom and then the sleeping area. The rooms I stayed in all had king beds. Plenty of room to spread out. The rooms are clean and well cared for. Housekeeping comes twice a day. At night they leave you orchids on your pillow. The staff is very friendly and will bend over backwards to make sure your stay lives up to your expectations. IF you want a quiet, romantic place to go, the Mauna Kea is the place to go.

Montreal, Canada
7. Re: Honeymoon

Wow! Thank you for all the feedback! I wil definately look into all these lcoations / hotels.

As to what we want to do...

My fiance loves things like snorkeling and scuba diving while I am petrified of underwater creatures. Yes fish scare the living daylights out of me. So that being said I am a much more on the ground type of person :)

So I am sure he will still want to do snorkeling and I will PROBABLY have to do it and will cause a scene but thats just about the only activity we wouldn't agree upon.

Aside from that, we love exploring. So we'll walk quite a bit BUT maybe not so much hiking but walking and looking.

Love to see nature so yes, the volcano and the lava would interest me as well as landmarks. Museums and those types of things, are not our number one priority but when it is tied in with a location like pearl harbour, we would venture in.

We love shopping, fine dining but also good cheap take out places (non touristy), and some trendy night life.

Montreal, Canada
8. Re: Honeymoon

Oh and I forgot to mention that while we probably will want to lounge around on the beach sometimes, we are not the type that can sit still for hours.

We need to be on the go.

Some people say that on your honeymoon, you need to relax. But for me relaxing is not working or doing household chores and basically enjoying myself.

Philly
9. Re: Honeymoon

Hi Caramela,

We will be on our honeymoon in Sept as well.

We decided on 6 nights in Kauai at the Grand Hyatt and 8 nights at Maui Four Seasons. I've heard the Four Seasons on the Big Island is even more impressive but we wanted see Maui and thought we needed more time to add a third stop.

We got a great deal on our Hyatt rooms through a work benefit.

From friends we are hearing of lots of couples who used Marriot points, airline miles, etc to do the most for the least.

Put all your wedding expenses you can on credit cards with points/miles.

Buy the Revealed books, these books are great.

If you want to share ideas email me.

michael@rmichaelgriffin.com