We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

25th Anniversary Trip to the Big Island

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
25th Anniversary Trip to the Big Island

All the info available on the internet is awesome, but we're getting kind of overwhelmed with choices (go figure!). We started to think we might not make it to the 25-year mark if we kept trying to do this ourselves!

We visited a travel agent, but they haven't been that helpful so far. We're thinking maybe a combination of travel agent, then checking out what they come up with, via the internet, might be best. We've booked locally over the internet, but this is a "really big show" for us, and even though folks tell us they've done huge trips this way, we're pretty much babes in the woods, at least this first trip. We do know what we want, and we're determined to get it, within reason ($$$ wise).

The candid posts at Trip Advisor have been sooooo helpful. There's stuff we wouldn't otherwise think to ask about.

We're coming to the Big Island, Kailua-Kona area, on Jan. 23/06, for about 10 days. We agree on wanting a condo, and not wanting to be in some big high-rise. There's just two of us, as the dog has to stay home this time! We basically just want to do our own thing, but do it in Hawaii. We're going to rent a car (with air conditioning) and explore to our hearts' content. Neither of us are big into laying around in the sun, but we certainly do want to do some of that. We're looking forward to seeing something of the volcanoes and the local vegetation. We've heard that there's a Costco nearby, so we'll feel quite at home, and know pretty much what to expect if we shop there. If we have a condo, we can just pretend we're home, but we'll be in Hawaii, with all the cool stuff that entails. We won't mind missing two weeks of winter, either!

It's looking as if we're not going to be "happy" with anything less than 4-star. That's OK, we figure it's worth it. We sure don't need room service, or daily laundry, or the like. We can look after that stuff ourselves, with our own washer and dryer. Reading the stories about bugs and whatnot has been helpful! Also, some of the stories about cancellation insurance (or lack thereof) have made us think some more about that for sure.

We don't think we're being unreasonable, and we're willing to pay for what we want. We're starting to lean toward the Outrigger Keauhou.

Now, if we could just meet Dog the Bounty Hunter while we're there (we know, he's on Oahu, boo-hoo), we'll be so jazzed.

We've toyed with the idea of vacation ownership, through RCI and Pacific Shores Nature Resort, which is a beautiful resort on our Vancouver Island. One sure hears pros and cons about that whole thing! We figure we'd be best to just get at least one trip to Hawaii under our belts, before getting involved in that and all it entails.

Well, any advice or opinions will be welcomed, that's for sure!

TTFN, from Lotus Land (Vancouver Island, BC)

Palm Springs...
reviews: 55
1. Re: 25th Anniversary Trip to the Big Island

Aloha....

anybody who quotes the TIGGER is ok.......

I would keep away from the time share...as very fast you discover that the annual maintance fees will equal the rental. and you will never sell your week or 2 at a profit or even at 50% of what you paid......thats a fact. Also time share units are not that up-scale.

The Outrigger is a hotel on the Kahaluu shorkel beach and has a good restauraunt and location for activities. it is not a condo

Aston also has two other very up scale properties...the SHores and Colony Villas. Of thoes the Shores has the best one bedrooms on the island in my opinion....... I even lived in one for a while while my home was being built.... it was supreme.

abd Located at Waikoloa Beach resort area

Costco is only a good bargin for meat, fish, bread, cheese, Liquor and soda can be bought at local markets cheaper by in many cases 40%...... some things at costco are loss leaders and you assume thet everything is a super deal.......I live here and shop KTA.....there is one in Keahou..

let me know if i can help more

Hawsaii dan

The Big Island
2. Re: 25th Anniversary Trip to the Big Island

Congratulations to you both. I live on the Big Island and am very familiar with the Outrigger Keahou. The location is very convenient, right on the beach with gorgeous sunsets. My husband and I were just there Friday night in the bar. Town is only 10 minutes away. Costco is about 20 minutes. Safeway and the other grocery stores are about 10 minutes. Make sure to check out Akaka Falls. They are beautiful waterfalls in a rainforest close to Hilo. Enjoy your time here. I certainly do.

Santa Barbara
reviews: 33
3. Re: 25th Anniversary Trip to the Big Island

Congrats

We too visited the BI for our 25th several years ago with our two young sons - waited a long time before we had them so it made it more fun to take them with us.

For that special trip we first stayed at a condo at the Waikaloa resort area and had a rented car for our first week. Mainly we explored the island and cooked our meals eating outside on our lanai listening to the rustling palm fronds. We had all sorts of adventures - snorkeling, visiting the City of Refuge, beaches, Mauna Kea, etc- it was terrific. After a week we left the condo and drove down to stay in Hilo visiting botanical gardens, falls etc. for a couple of days and visit the Volcano Park (fortunately saw the lava flowing into the sea but it's probably easier to stay in Volcano Village). Then we drove back to the airport three or four days before we left for home and dropped off our car. Then we spent the rest of our stay at Kona Village indulging in the fantasy of pampered but rustic tropical island living. We even saw the green flash for the first time. All of us had an unforgettable time.

Since then we 've been back several times. Our sons still love it and so do we. Now we pretty much stay in a condo most of the time but still have plenty of adventures. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.

Bracebridge, Ontario
reviews: 25
4. Re: 25th Anniversary Trip to the Big Island

We are going this fall taking my inlaws for their 40th anniversary and hope this trip as well as yours go wonderfully.

With regards to HD on the timeshare issue I would have to partially agree and partially disagree. We have owned for six years now and in total have paid out roughly $15,000 CDN (approx $12,000 US) for everything including fees. Renting the places we have stayed at would have cost much more than this already and we have been very happy with the places we have stayed.....HOWEVER.... Dan is right that you should not look at the timeshares right now. Take a good hard look and talk to lots of people before you buy a timeshare, make sure you get a good one at a reasonable price (don't buy in Hawaii).

Rent the car, drive the island and make sure you spend a day or two at least over in Volcanoes National Park. Last time we spent two nights in Hilo and learned our lesson. This time we are taking the inlaws to a B&B (still undecided which one) near VNP.

Hope the trip goes well and you find a good flight!