We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August 2013 Trip Report

Which Custer hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Livonia, Michigan
August 2013 Trip Report

We're back and had a great time! Duh, right?! Who goes there and comes home and complains? Maybe someone that hadn't been given soooooo much great information by the users here(;

Our trip was about 20 days and I've only finished 14 of them but I wanted to post what I've finished so far. I'm an elementary teacher and I've wanted to play around with Google's Blogger for class to see if it was something we could use or not so 2 birds 1 stone. It's not the best tool for a project like this but it hasn't been too bad. Ignore the posting dates and the August/September headers.. we weren't posting daily. I've titled posts day 1, 2, 3 etc so start at 1.

kaunelis.blogspot.com/2013/08/july-31st.html

I hope at least one person will learn something from seeing it. I personally enjoyed looking through everyone's pictures so maybe at least people will get some pleasure there.

14 replies to this topic
West Des Moines...
reviews: 24
1. Re: August 2013 Trip Report

Great trip, thanks for sharing!!!

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 12
2. Re: August 2013 Trip Report

I really enjoyed your trip report and I look forward to reading about the rest of your trip. Your pictures really added to your report. What a fantastic trip. You have given your children memories that will always stay with them.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
reviews: 35
3. Re: August 2013 Trip Report

Mister mr D,

This is really one of the best trip reports I have read. As Mt. Mama said, the pictures added so much to the journey. Your pictures and narrative really made me smile and remember our trips to these areas. I hope you posted this on the Yellowstone/Teton forum as well.

Your kids look like terrific travelers, and I know they learned a lot. You planned the trip well and gave yourselves plenty of time for the sights.

I really enjoyed seeing the pics of your "illegal" entry to the bottom of Tower Fall. lol! During our 1st trip to Yellowstone, it was actually "legal" to hike to the bottom. I remember it well and have plenty of pictures. The " trail" looks a bit different today.

Please let us know when you finish the rest of the report. We will be watching for it.

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this. It will help many in their trip planning.

Livonia, Michigan
4. Re: August 2013 Trip Report

Yay! So glad people are enjoying the report!

I really wish I had pictures of the portion of the Tower Falls trail that has slid / eroded into the river. Basically it appears that the bank along the river is where the original trail was and a portion collapsed. The new trail that several people have created is just 5-10' further inland. I understand that the general population shouldn't hike a trail like that, but we've done some serious hiking in the past that made the new trail look like the yellow brick road. I totally understand why the rules are in place, but at some point they need to cut the cord and tell people to swim at their own risk without a lifeguard present.

I copied/posted in the Yellowstone and Teton forums and will post in the Badlands forum once I get to those days. Day 15 is up and live now(:

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
5. Re: August 2013 Trip Report

Day 15 was great. I understand what you mean about the pics not turning out too well, but yours looked really great, particularly the bacon formation. I love bacon too! It seems like the pics turn out better without the flash if you have enough light to show the formation. I tried the "no flash" technique at Luray Caverns in Virginia over Labor Day weekend, and the pics turned out much more natural. I think they have more lighting and commercialization, however. Jewel Cave is wonderful, and Wind Cave is totally different than either Jewel or Mammoth. The boxwork is such a rare formation that is enjoyable to see. If you ever get back, I'd highly recommend it.

I will keep checking for your additional days. I bet your Badlands pics are amazing!

Rhode Island
reviews: 11
6. Re: August 2013 Trip Report

What a great trip report! We went to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons a couple of years ago and are heading to SD in June 2014 - and your blog bring back great memories and looking forward to making lots of new ones. You have a beautiful family and I am enjoying reading about your adventures.

Livonia, Michigan
7. Re: August 2013 Trip Report

Thanks! Now we are just going to have to go back and check out Wind Cave.. oh darn(;

Day 16 is all typed up and published.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
8. Re: August 2013 Trip Report

Loved day 16! I'd be one of those who would turn around at the ladder. Going down would definitely be very nerve racking for me. I am phobic about ladders.

Thanks again for sharing such an enjoyable trip report!

Raleigh, NC
reviews: 3
9. Re: August 2013 Trip Report

Thank you so much for all the good information. The pictures are wonderful and such a great looking family. (really cute kids)

Livonia, Michigan
10. Re: August 2013 Trip Report

Ok, Days 17-20 are up. They weren't nearly as entertaining as some of the previous posts, but I wanted to add them anyhow to complete the blog.

Reply to: August 2013 Trip Report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted