We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Climbing Volcan Baru

Which Volcan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, United...
Climbing Volcan Baru

Can anyone tell me the best place to find a reasonably priced guide for a hike up Volcan Baru. I will be there alone in Feb 2013 and some of the organised tours work out expensive for a lone traveller. Also is it possible to do it alone? I have heard about robberies near the coms towers, is this something to be worried about?

14 replies to this topic
Olympia, Washington
reviews: 117
1. Re: Climbing Volcan Baru

You have to have a guide. There were so many people getting lost in the hills that the government said no more single hikers. Who did you get pricing from? There are several companies in Boquete who lead these tour. Have you checked with Habla Ya? I was just in their office (buying my school books :) ). They have tours and if not let me know and I have other places in town that do tours there. Where are you staying when you come? Some of the hostels also have guides.

Belfast, United...
2. Re: Climbing Volcan Baru

Hi Florence,

I replied to you via my phone but I don't know if it got through. Anyway, what I was saying was I was speaking to Habla Ya but they only have a tour planned for the end of Feb. My schedule is tight as I have to go home for work. I haven't decided where I'll be staying, I haven't looked at all to be honest. Can you recommend somewhere, maybe a place that also has a guide? I have been in touch with a local guide called Chichi, I got in contact through a website called tours by locals. As a sole traveller it would work out expensive for me to go with him on my own I'm hoping he will receive another request like mine so I could share the cost. What do you think my best option is given how little time I have. Also I am interested in El Sendero de los Quetzales. Maybe I can get the same guide for both? What do you think?

Thanks,

Darragh.

Olympia, Washington
3. Re: Climbing Volcan Baru

Darragh,

I am going into Boquete this afternoon and I'll stop at a couple of places and get the info for you. I know Chichi and his price for one can be expensive. There are other places and guides. Not everyone wants to hike the mountain.

Check out the hotel called Casa Abuela; www.lacasadeabuela.com - owned and operated by a local. Within walking distance to town square. The owners name is Wilo. The only thing cheaper in town will be the hostels.

I'll get back to you.

Olympia, Washington
4. Re: Climbing Volcan Baru

I got a map from my nieghbor.

Here are three companies that do the hiking;

www.boqueteoutdooradventures.com

www.boquetesafari.com

www.aventourist.com

They all have hiking and other items - pretty much the same so that you can compare pricing.

Good luck.

Belfast, United...
5. Re: Climbing Volcan Baru

Thanks very much. Just one other question. Is it a good time of the year to visit Boquete. I hear the Carnival is on at that time. What is this like?

Olympia, Washington
6. Re: Climbing Volcan Baru

Overcrowded. :)

The area of Las Tablas is the one to watch during Carnival. Yes it will be busy in other areas but not as crazy as the Azuero Peninsula. Which is a very nice area.

I didn't see any dates in February and the Boquete Jazz and Blues Festival is the end of the month. We get about 50,000 people a year. So if you are here during that time you might want to attend.

boquetejazzandbluesfestival.com/festival-201…

Lafayette, Louisiana
7. Re: Climbing Volcan Baru

Ecotour Guides of Panama, these are some friends of mine, I think Baru overnight is around 80$...I plan also to do this around Feb...check facebook or google search

Lafayette, Louisiana
8. Re: Climbing Volcan Baru

guide is a must..... Ecotour Guides of Panama, My friends ask for Armando

Prairie Village...
reviews: 7
9. Re: Climbing Volcan Baru

I was in Boquete in February and hiked Volcan Baru. The hostel I stayed at drove us to the base and dropped 5 of us off at around midnight. We didn't pay any fee until coming back down and a guard was at the booth. Apparently some people get lucky and sometimes no one is there and they don't have to pay.

Anyway, unless there is a new law or something, you don't need a guide. Besides the people above saying you should get a guide, I'm not sure where you'd be able to check for an official law. Just ask the people where you stay. There were a few other groups on the way up, some with guides. At the top there were some people camped out waiting for sunrise.

It was pitch black and we could literally see nothing except for what our lights illuminated directly in front of us. But it's just a path that keeps leading up. Not sure how'd you get lost unless you're stupid.

NYC
reviews: 40
10. Re: Climbing Volcan Baru

Darragh ..... I'd be interested in hearing how this works out for you. Please let us know, or send me a message, as I hope to climb baru again sometime this year.

I say again, as I made an attempt a few Decembers ago, with a group/guide, from one of the places a previous poster has listed links for (message me if you want details/background on that), it was an overnight hike. Unfortunately, due to constant rain, my wife not being the fastest hiker, and not having the best of rain gear, we had to turn back ..... so I didn't make it to the top. I have vowed to return!!!

Anyways .... as mentioned above, unless there is a law, or some serious crime going on ..... the route to the top is very straight forward. I remember thinking at the time, that we didn't really need a guide.

Please let me know how it works out for you.

Reply to: Climbing Volcan Baru
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Volcan