We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Regular coffee at Cafe duMonde?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hebron, OH
reviews: 20
Regular coffee at Cafe duMonde?

Do they sell plain ol' hot coffee or is everything chicory or chicory based? If not is there anyplace close where we can pick some up to have with our beignets?

Thanks in advance!

NY
reviews: 131
1. Re: Regular coffee at Cafe duMonde?

Trust me, have the cafe au lait with your beignet. It's worth it. I don't think I've ever had better coffee than in the quarter, wherever I go. I've had cafe au lait in other countries, and really didn't like it, but the coffee with the chicory down here is great.... I looked forward to every cup.

New Orleans...
reviews: 171
2. Re: Regular coffee at Cafe duMonde?

The coffee at Cafe du Monde is French Roast and not Chicory Coffee. You are more likely to find Chicory Coffee in Cajun Country but not in New Orleans. If you like a robust coffee that is not bitter, you wil like the brew at Cafe du Monde.

NY
reviews: 131
3. Re: Regular coffee at Cafe duMonde?

interesting, I thought they used a chicory based coffee there. The coffee they sell in their store is a chicory coffee.

Hebron, OH
reviews: 20
4. Re: Regular coffee at Cafe duMonde?

Trust me, we've had the coffee there before and my husband just does not like it - whatever kind it is. Any suggestions for where we can find plain old Maxwell House or something in that range?

Pittsburgh, PA
reviews: 18
5. Re: Regular coffee at Cafe duMonde?

Yes, I was wondering the same thing. While I adore the cafe au lait, I know my husband will not like it. He likes plain black coffee from 7-11!

Pittsburgh, PA
reviews: 18
6. Re: Regular coffee at Cafe duMonde?

Oh and yes..it is Chicory coffee...

This is directly from the Cafe Du Monde website:

"Chicory is the root of the endive plant. The root of the plant is roasted and ground. It is added to the coffee to soften the bitter edge of the dark roasted coffee. It adds an almost chocolate flavor to the Cafe Au Lait served at Cafe Du Monde.

The Cafe Du Monde Coffee and Chicory is traditionally served Au Lait, mixed half and half with hot milk. "

Kerens,Texas
reviews: 99
7. Re: Regular coffee at Cafe duMonde?

Would Central Grocery have coffee for take out?

Fort Worth, Texas
reviews: 51
8. Re: Regular coffee at Cafe duMonde?

Poodle,

I have been to Central Grocery many times and did not see hot coffee available.

I am going to NO from Oct 18 to 23 and plan to have a chocolate croissant at Croissant d'Or. I am staying right across the street at the Hotel Villa Convento.

By the way, I went to Sapristi's in FW a few weeks ago and loved it. Great mussels and wine.

Porc

Locals compete with visitors for a table in this colorful, pristine pastry shop, which serves excellent and authentic French croissants, pies, tarts, and custards, as well as an imaginative selection of soups, salads, and sandwiches. Wash them down with real French breakfast coffee, cappuccino, or espresso. Hours are 7 AM to 4:30 PM daily. AE, MC, V. Closed Tues.

Address: 617 Ursulines St., New Orleans, LA, USA

Phone: 504/524-4663

New York City, New...
reviews: 30
9. Re: Regular coffee at Cafe duMonde?

Croissant d'Or is wonderful. I liked it better pre-K but it's still good with the new owners.

Kerens,Texas
reviews: 99
10. Re: Regular coffee at Cafe duMonde?

Oh, Porc- Sapristi's! I had forgotten about our previous posts. We might just have to stop in for mussels- no place does them better here and I can only imagine how great they are in FW.

We will be in NOLA tomorrow night- haven't been since 2003 so am quite excited. So little time- so much to eat and drink. Then off to Blue Mt. Beach!