We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

costume shops

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sarasota, Florida
costume shops

I'll be in Nola next month for Floktober fest and the next trip will be Mardi gras. I'd like to visit a few shops to get some ideas my outfit. I plan on doing most of it myself but maybe I can get some ideas and add ons. I'm staying in the Quarter but am willing to go outside of it for a good store especially if there's a good bar next door.

New Orleans...
reviews: 11
1. Re: costume shops

I know there's one on Magazine that I'm planning to check out next week. Will let you know if it was worthwhile.

Sarasota, Florida
2. Re: costume shops

Yes please do. I thought about a trip up Magazine anyway so that will be great. :)

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 3
3. Re: costume shops

Bobby and Rodent, we'll also be doing the OctoberFlok and then next trip for Mardi Gras thing. We've done some looking for costumes on Magazine St., but were somewhat surprised at what initially seemed as a lack of costume type merchandise, particularly considering the local propensity for costuming. However, I must point out that I have little patience for shopping. And in NOLA it's sometimes difficult to tell the difference between costumes and regular clothes. Mrs. Loop and KCK are both very fond of the wigs at Fifi Mahony's on Royal St. in the lower Quarter; even though a non-shopper, I also thought the place was both entertaining and fun, and it's only a block or two from Harry's Corner.

Allentown...
reviews: 28
4. Re: costume shops

Has anyone tried New Orleans Party and Costume @ 705 Camp St.? I need something for Halloween, don't know if I want to pack something, but don't want to get there on Oct. 27th to find there is nothing local to buy/rent.

New Orleans...
5. Re: costume shops

Kayak,

they have a full upstairs of just costumes, but the later it gets, obviously the thinner the inventory and selections will be. Getting in on October 27th you will be after a rush of folks trying to pick up costumes for parties the Friday and Saturday of that weekend for instance. They should still have a lot, but it may be a little bit limited depending on what you had in mind.

Kansas City
reviews: 4
6. Re: costume shops

The one on Camp is no better than a Halloween shop IMHO. There are a couple on Magazine that are better. Also, there is a costume rental place in the 200 block of Dauphine. Worth a look if only for ideas. Next door is a shop where you can commision custom work. I find their quality inconsistent so recommend them only for ideas.

reviews: 1
7. Re: costume shops

This is an aside, and I know it's not the ideal answer as it does involve packing, but I noticed it's possible to get a lot of inexpensive costumes or costume components on eBay, especially if you are willing to deal with a HK seller and await the slightly longer shipping. (I'm putting together a pretty generic showgirl/burlesque kind of costume, and was able to find corsets and skirts and costume jewelry identical to other web retailers but much cheaper. e.g., a costumey corset one might find on the corset story e-tailer site is identical and half as much on eBay...which I assume proves it's all coming from China, which I know will put some people off. But still, could be good for sourcing individual pieces.)

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 11
8. Re: costume shops

Fifi's is a great place for wigs and accessories, but if you want a costume you will have to go elsewhere.

marthas vineyard
9. Re: costume shops

We will be doing our 1st Mardi Gras in 2014.. Is there a theme or such we should be following for our costumes??

We can check places in Oct and in Dec for our New Years week trip.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 3
10. Re: costume shops

wdwlodgers, although there is not an overall Carnival theme, many groups, both large and small, do dress to a theme. Unlike Halloween, you don't need to be anything discernable, you can just dress, or undress (on or close to Bourbon St), very "festively". There are many pictures you can look at. But part of the fun is you can dress to your own personal fantasy, be that geeky, sexy, sophisticated, absurd, meaningless, political or whatever.