We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving- new york to new orleans on food trip

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Driving- new york to new orleans on food trip

Driving- new york to new Orleans on a food trip, personal episode of DDD. Any suggestions ?

12 replies to this topic
New Orleans...
reviews: 1
1. Re: Driving- new york to new orleans on food trip

For how many meal will you be in New Orleans?

New Orleans...
reviews: 36
2. Re: Driving- new york to new orleans on food trip

Delaware - nothing. Maryland - seafood. Virginia or West Virginia - nothing. Tennessee - bbq. Northwestern Georgia, nothing. Alabama...nothing.

When I say 'nothing' there is nothing I can think of that stands out, like lobster from Maine, or cheesesteaks from Philly. When Lou did the drive here when we moved, his biggest complaint about the 20 hour drive was the complete lack of dining choices. If you really want to do a DDD ride, you'll have to google options.

I think you're going to have to go way off the actual trail you'll be on. Good luck and happy travels!

Tyler, Texas
reviews: 64
3. Re: Driving- new york to new orleans on food trip

http://www.roadfood.com/

Tyler, Texas
reviews: 64
4. Re: Driving- new york to new orleans on food trip

yearofalabamafood.com/tag/…

There must be hundreds of these lists...google

NJ
reviews: 6
5. Re: Driving- new york to new orleans on food trip

While you're in NJ, stop and get a pizza. The world outside of NJ seems clueless on how to make a good pizza, so you should jump on the opportunity to get one. Also, get yourself a Pork Roll, Egg and Cheese on a Hard Roll. You can get them at any deli or diner. For some reason Pork Roll isn't available in most places outside of NJ, which is weird because it's delicious. It's so good, it's what God eats when he cooks breakfast.

TFK

New Orleans...
6. Re: Driving- new york to new orleans on food trip

If you don't mind posting your planned route through the Southeast I may be able to help. I've done a fair amount of driving and eating around the states of Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia (somewhat), and Florida.

Birmingham, Alabama
7. Re: Driving- new york to new orleans on food trip

If you come through Alabama Highlands Bar and Grill in Birmingham is a must stop. Frank Stitt's flagship really is not to be missed. Other suggestions in Bham include: Satterfield's, Little Savannah, Bottega, Sol Y Luna (Mexican tapas with a large tequila selection), Cafe Dupont, Ocean. Any and all of the foregoing would fit in the foodie scene in any large city. If you feel you must try BBQ in Birmingham Saw's, Full Moon, Dreamland, Carlile's, and Miss Myra's have their followings. The number of "meat and 3s" have dwindled, but Fife and Nicki's West are among the best. NOTE: neither BBQ nor meat and 3s are among the fine dining venues, but have an ambiance and attraction all their own.

Should you stop in Lexington VA (if you come that route), Bistro on Main is well worth the stop. About 2 years ago I had the most wonderful cheese plate after the main course...all of which was great.

New Orleans...
8. Re: Driving- new york to new orleans on food trip

bamayankee, I wholeheartedly endorse Saw's in the Birmingham area as well. Best ribs I've ever had. Also love Archichald's in Northport (Just north of Tuscaloosa and the University of Alabama) - very close to the interstate.

I've also heard great things about all of the Frank Stitt joints.

New York City, New...
9. Re: Driving- new york to new orleans on food trip

I would love to hear your suggestions, route note totally planned yet. Really looking for the best locations to eat, not high end but DDD.

Thanks

Birmingham, Alabama
10. Re: Driving- new york to new orleans on food trip

Sorry, didn't pick up on the Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.

BBQ and Meat & 3s are traditional southern fare. The ones I listed above for B'ham should meet your criteria. Ken's BBQ on Rte 79 north of Bham is also a favorite. You might also want to check out the Garages Cafe in Bham. Great bar with really good sandwiches and soups - CASH ONLY.

Reply to: Driving- new york to new orleans on food trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted