We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety/Hotel Question

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bangor, Maine
reviews: 1
Safety/Hotel Question

Hi all, coming once again to ask for your expertise, thanks for all the help in the past, I don't post often but I've used this forum a lot when planning my last couple of trips.

Anyways, I'm flying down on June 14th for a businesss/pleasure trip and my wife will be joining me. While I'm working, during the day, my wife will be on her own and I'm wondering if walking about during the daytime will create a safety issue for her. She's hoping to do some shopping in the FQ and on Magazine Street but she would like to be able to walk rather than cabbing it from place to place.

We're looking to stay at one the Hilton propoerties(reward points being used), most of which are in the CBD or Warehouse Districts. The three we've narrowed it down to are the Garden Inn at 831 Gravier, the Riverside at 2 Poydras and the Embassy at 315 Julia. Any feedback on relative safety in those areas of the city and would it be okay for her to be walking to and from the Quarter during the day?

Also, any suggestions on which of the three would be the better hotel choice?

Thanks in advance,

Carey

New York City, New...
reviews: 30
1. Re: Safety/Hotel Question

Hotel points are a beautiful thing, huh? In this past year, I've built up enough Marriott points from my stays at the Renaissance in Houston to go to Hawaii for a week!

As for your question, any of the three mentioned are fine for your wife during the day. At night, I'd probably go with the Hilton Riverside, then the Embassy and then the Garden Inn. Again, none is "remote" so I think you're fine.

The Hilton Riverside is huge. If monstrous convention hotels don't appeal to you, move on. The Garden Inn is new, which may be a plus.

Your wife will find it difficult to "do" Magazine Street without extensive use of taxi or city bus. It's not walkable.

Bangor, Maine
reviews: 1
2. Re: Safety/Hotel Question

Thanks for the tips.

By "not walkable" you're referring to the length of the street and the number of shops, right? I've been to NO twice and still haven't gone on Magazine Street, just have read references to the shopping on it...

Carey

New York City, New...
3. Re: Safety/Hotel Question

Absolutely correct. Magazine is just too long to physically walk and the good parts don't start until you get to, say, the Garden District area. You can take the Magazine bus, though. Buy a one-day pass and get on/off as much as you want!

reviews: 11
4. Re: Safety/Hotel Question

Carey,

We are considering those three hotels for the same reasons. Where did you end up staying...and are you glad you did? Any other advice or comments?

Thanks!!

Chicago
reviews: 2
5. Re: Safety/Hotel Question

As late a mid-May buses and trolleys were free. I'm not sure if that is still the case. But a day or tree-day pass is a simple solution. Even though everything is close and typical cab fares are $6 or so, it can add up.

The Magazine St Merchants' Assoc has a web site, and they will mail you a nice map and brochures, coupons, etc. I once asked on line where on Magazine should I wander if I just did one stretch, and was told roughly between Napoleon St and (something else). Sorry I can't remember, but someone here may have ideas. The one day I found a place for lunch and people watching. then intended to bus it on the way back, and hop on and off several times. but frankly my legs were giving out by then!

After so many years of trips where I think i now have Royal and Chartres St's memorized, it was refreshing to explore a new area.

One day I took the Canal street car north, it turned east and ended at the city park and NO Museum of Art (also free currrently, but only open Fri-Sun). With a map I discovered I could return to the Quarter straight down Esplanade, since I had gone there on two sides of a "square." But that was the second of two trips where I discovered that street cars and buses stop running some time Sunday afternoon!

For your wife, another nice half day trip might be to Longue View House and gardens. It's in town, and less time and money than a whole day bus trour upriver to a plantation. Lovely and relaxing. (But that one was the earlier time I discovered about buses and Sundays. Oh well, two cabs and $8 admission, still much less than $40-80 for a bus tour to one or two plantations)

New Orleans...
reviews: 61
6. Re: Safety/Hotel Question

good recommendation on the Longue View plantation - WAY less time to do than others, and very pretty!

New York City, New...
7. Re: Safety/Hotel Question

Thanks to continued transportation funding from FEMA, all bus and streetcars within the City of New Orleans are still free.

Fares will be reinstated on August 6.

8. Re: Safety/Hotel Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, August 16, 2009