We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need the "real deal" on New Orleans, Please!!

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
reviews: 4
Need the "real deal" on New Orleans, Please!!

Can someone who has recently visited the French Quarter or lives in New Orleans please give an absolutely honest and candid account of what it is like there now after Hurricane Katrina? I am wondering if the shops and restaurants are open, what the mood/atmosphere there is, is it safe now, etc.

I greatly appreciate your honest feedback!

Ft. Worth
reviews: 1
11. Re: Need the "real deal" on New Orleans, Please!!

i am a local and have toured the neighborhoods that have been devastated. I recommend that people see for themselves how much is still left to do in the city. I don't think that pictures capture the truth.

I also think it gives empathy for those that have lost so much.

My sister just got married in Jackson Square and had a reception at the Napoleon House. It was not only a wedding but a celebration that the city is alive.

Toronto, Canada
12. Re: Need the "real deal" on New Orleans, Please!!

(Congratulation to your sister!)

I am not local but read The Pic(via web) almost daily so feel pretty up to date on NO events. I was there at the beginning of the year and I was heartbroken at the damage, I just want to send a word of encouragement to everybody who is doing so much for recovery. (I have an acquaintance who is well-known on this forum and always try to express my gratitude that she is one of the many residents who really cares). It will be a slow process but I applaud your efforts and wish you all the best!

Toronto, Canada
13. Re: Need the "real deal" on New Orleans, Please!!

Of course, I meant to the newlyweds:)

Dallas
14. Re: Need the "real deal" on New Orleans, Please!!

Hi everyone,

I grew up in New Orleans and my parents still live there. I have been back several times since the hurricane, and I encourage everyone to go to New Orleans and experience the city, the good and the bad. As previous posters have mentioned, the French Quarter, Garden District areas are mostly back to normal. But, you do not have to drive far to see the complete devastation from the hurricane.

I encourage everyone to go and see what people's lives in New Orleans are really like now. People are hoping/beginning to rebuild, but it is an extensive process that will not be over anytime soon. I think New Orleans is something that everyone in this country should soon, you cannot even imagine the city until you see it.

Go, spend your money, have fun!

New Orleans...
reviews: 61
15. Re: Need the "real deal" on New Orleans, Please!!

kb - well said, thank you! :) good post.

Pensacola, FL
reviews: 3
16. Re: Need the "real deal" on New Orleans, Please!!

I see that there have been several replies and they are all accurate. The City and surrounding area is like a scale of one to ten. Some areas you would not think that anything has happened (#1 the Quarter) and some areas, even now is unbelievable (#10 just north east of New Orleans and the).

I went back as soon as the city opened back up. Things have improved much since then.

I have been in the heart of several Hurricanes. I can understand the questions some would have not ever having been in one (I was before my first one). People are going to want pictures. Who's going to believe a 30 foot sailboat on the roof of a house, or a house with a roof and no floor or interior or exterior walls. It's these pictures and people that spread the tragedy that helped get a lot of the donations for this. I also feel for the people that had losses (I lost my roof but managed to save my house in Ivan). This is still a tender area for alot of people, locals and non-locals alike.

Missouri
17. Re: Need the "real deal" on New Orleans, Please!!

I returned from New Orleans at 3 AM this morning and was there for a week. We had a blast! Checked into the "devastation tours" and they were pretty expensive so I told them I had to think about it. That afternoon I found out that the tour buses are forbidden to enter the residential areas that were damaged. I talked to the deskman at outr hotel and he drew us a map of where to go. We were respectful

and I didn't take any pictures of faces. I live in Tornado Alley and and seen/worked through many tornadoes but could not even begin to believe the Katrina damage. As far as the French Quarter most everything is up and running. We stayed at the Prince Conti Hotel (family owned) and were thrilled with our room for the value. The store owners, waiter/waitresses, salespeople all thanked us for coming to NO for vacation. We had a great time and are anxious for yet another return. The only downside was that the street cars aren't running in Carrollton or St. Charles, and the only schedule they have on the riverfront and downtown it "wait, it'll be here." We tried a lot of new places (Mulate's, Dry Dock, Johnny's Po-boys) this trip instead of the high dollar ones. There were fewer tourists (maybe) but not enough to notice that much.http://www.tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i4135-New_Orleans_is_OPEN.html

18. Re: Need the "real deal" on New Orleans, Please!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, August 13, 2009