We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garden District/Central City Border Area

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
reviews: 1
Garden District/Central City Border Area

In looking for a room or apartment to rent from a private owner for my trip in May, I'm coming across a lot of places that are advertised as being in the Garden District, but look (according to Google maps at least) as though they're on the borderline between the GD and Central City. I was warned by a NOLA native I know prior to my Super Bowl trip that staying away from Central City would be a pretty good idea. Just how dangerous is Central City, and where is the dividing line between places I would be fine staying and places that would be best avoided, if such line exists? Thanks!

Gretna, Louisiana
1. Re: Garden District/Central City Border Area

Central city is a hell hole. I went and looked at a renovation job there and found 45 caliber bullets stashed in the electrical panel. A 30 year old woman was assaulted and raped in the Garden District a couple of days ago and I would bet a dollar to a beignet that these three thugs are from central city. A carpenter I met at another renovation carries a gun with him in while working in that neighborhood. He actually stayed overnight in one of the apartments he was working on and was shocked at all of the gunfire he heard.

Stay on the river side of St Charles.

Sorry for exposing the warts on our nose but I would feel worse if something happened to you because you were not informed.

Chicago, Illinois
2. Re: Garden District/Central City Border Area

Be sure to familiarize yourself to the various neighborhoods & area. Run a couple of Google searches and view the boarders. A crime map might not be a bad idea either.

http://www.crimemapping.com/map/la/neworleans

Baltimore, Maryland
3. Re: Garden District/Central City Border Area

How is the Seventh Ward safety wise? I'm seeing a great deal on a place on Kerlerec between 10 and 90 on airbnb. Would I be (reasonably) safe walking to/from Frenchmen along Esplanade at night, for instance?

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 3
4. Re: Garden District/Central City Border Area

Andrew, have you checked on rates for more conventional well located (French Quarter, Marigny, Central Business District, Lower Garden District) hotels, inns, guest houses and b&bs? Late May rates aren't all that high.

Baltimore, Maryland
5. Re: Garden District/Central City Border Area

I've given them a cursory look, but I much prefer the staying with a local route, for both cost and human interaction reasons. I'm going Wednesday through Monday and being joined by my sister and brother in law for the weekend, so I'm looking for a single room for myself the first two nights, then a rental with separate bedrooms for the weekend. For the latter, I've found something promising and affordable in the Marigny on Chartres between Spain and Franklin.

AR
reviews: 6
6. Re: Garden District/Central City Border Area

With regards to the place between 10 and 90, nope!

Caution: unless licensed, these rentals are not legal and could be scams.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 3
7. Re: Garden District/Central City Border Area

This isn't usually my concern, but in New Orleans short term rentals are only considered a City allowed land use if the property is in a district zoned for short term rentals and the property is licensed or otherwise authorized as a hotel, guest house, inn, B&B or other accomodation. See:

http://new.nola.gov/short-term-rentals/

You can access a list of "Legal Short Term Rentals" for a specific area by going to:

nola.gov/BUSINESSES/…

Since those renting unlisted properties for short terms are acting outside of the law, they MAY be prone to other illegal activities which could harm you. Not preaching, just making you aware of the situation.

Baltimore, Maryland
8. Re: Garden District/Central City Border Area

Thanks, I appreciate the heads up.

9. Re: Garden District/Central City Border Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 10, 2014