We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to go to New Orleans

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Worcester, UK
reviews: 6
Best time to go to New Orleans

I know there are a few posts already on this topic, but when is the best time to visit New Orleans? I'm thinking April/May or October as these seem to be the favourites. I want it to be hot but not stiflingly so, and not be the rainy season, if there is such a thing (I get enough of that in the UK!). I would prefer to go when there aren't any festivals on really, sorry if that sounds miserable! I would want to do trips to the swamps and a plantation or two. How likely are hurricanes to be a problem in October?

Moncton, Canada
reviews: 47
1. Re: Best time to go to New Orleans

If you wish to avoid festivals and major crowds, anytime after the 1st week-end of May (jazz fest) is a great choice, or anytime in October before the last week (halloween). You will get heat both months, less chance of major rain in October (although May ain't that bad either). I've been to NO during both of those months, and either one is great.

As for hurricanes, by October they usually follow the Eastern coast, and nothing in the Gulf. I can't garantee anything of course, but I wouldn't worry about it.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 3
2. Re: Best time to go to New Orleans

You seem to have a pretty good handle on things. French Quarter Festival is mid April, Jazz Fest is late April/early May. Although "Alantic" hurricane season extends through October, as specifically relates to New Orleans, the hurricane threat historically ends in very early October. There are not any large October festivals other than Halloween, the last weekend before Halloween and Halloween itself. However, the wonderful weather makes it popular for conventions and other visits; it's one of the two "high" seasons.

Birmingham, Alabama
reviews: 7
3. Re: Best time to go to New Orleans

Crawfish season is the spring. If you can wheedle an invitation to a crawfish boil that would tip the scales to spring. While I love NOLA in October, there is something greener and fresher in May- especially if you've had a gray winter.

louisiana
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 92
4. Re: Best time to go to New Orleans

We like anytime but actually May the number one, then October, and then December.

5. Re: Best time to go to New Orleans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:17 am, February 07, 2013
College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
6. Re: Best time to go to New Orleans

To expand a bit, mid March to mid May is very nice, as is early October to mid December. But for hot but not stifling or rainy, it's mid April through mid May, and October. For an updated listing of festivals and such, see:

neworleanscvb.com/press-media/…

However, many of the listed events do not have all that much affect on the typical visitor; there is always some sort of fest or happening going on in NOLA. When you start coming up with some particular date options, feel free to check back with us regarding events of consequence.

Edited: 11:16 am, February 07, 2013
New York City, New...
7. Re: Best time to go to New Orleans

My recommendations are slightly more conservative. Mid-November through mid-April get my vote. By the first weekend in May (corresponding to the second week of Jazz Fest) the weather is hot and humid. While not as oppressive as the steam bath months of July and August, you WILL sweat in May.

Happily, the city pulls no punches when it comes to air conditioning. It's excellent.

If you like pleasantly warm, I'd recommend mid-November or mid-April.

Edited: 9:30 pm, February 07, 2013
College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
8. Re: Best time to go to New Orleans

Slate, who is very knowledgeable regarding New Orleans, being from New York, has a much different perspective than I, being from Texas, have. Mid November to mid April does not even come close to being "hot". "Hot" means you can very comfortably swim in and lounge around unheated pools 24 hours a day. In New Orleans this is mid April through mid October. To me hot does not start until daily highs are consistantly over 85 degrees (F). In Texas nobody even remarks about the heat until its well over 90(F).

New York City, New...
9. Re: Best time to go to New Orleans

I'm native New Orleanian, Loop, livin' in New York.

No matter where I've lived, I've never liked temperatures much above 72 degrees F (for DaveHWorcester, that's 22 C). May in New Orleans is usually in the 80s F (27+ C), and to me, that's HOT.

But....to each his own! I do know that Canadians almost uniformly love summery weather, and maybe Englishmen do too!

: )

Worcester, UK
reviews: 6
10. Re: Best time to go to New Orleans

Thanks for all those replies. I'm thinking around 80 F would be good but my other half would probably argue that that's too hot! What is it like at the end of October? I know I said I didn't wanna be there when any festivals were going on, but someone mentioned Halloween, which has pricked my ears up, as I love Halloween and it seems like it would be a good place to celebrate it. Is Halloween good in New Orleans, or best avoided? (I'm in my late thirties, so not exactly a teenager anymore, but not quite ready for the quiet life just yet!!).