We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Novels set in New Orleans

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Smalltown, Canada
reviews: 1
Novels set in New Orleans

As part of my research when going to a new place, I like to read some novels set there to kind of get into the spirit of the place.

So can anyone suggest some novels they have enjoyed that are set in New Orleans?

(not into vampires - hee hee)

39 replies to this topic
Smalltown, Canada
11. Re: Novels set in New Orleans

Wow - thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I do love to discover a new "series" writer - and bonus if it is set in New Orleans.

Loopwhole - I actually did read A Confederacy of Dunces after I saw it mentioned when I first started lurking around here.And I know what you mean about the Foreward bamayankee. I found parts of it hysterical and parts sad. Such outrageous and colourful characters and wonderful descriptions of the neighbourhoods.

Off to the bookstore this weekend to stock up :-)

New Orleans...
12. Re: Novels set in New Orleans

The Last Madam: A Life in the New Orleans Underworld by Christine Wiltz is a great read, non-fiction about the city.

Calgary
13. Re: Novels set in New Orleans

It's not a novel, but I'd highly recommend "New Orleans, Mon Amour" by Andrei Codrescu.

It's a series of essays giving a great snapshot of the place. Some of them are wickedly funny.

Tennessee
14. Re: Novels set in New Orleans

Yes, Dan Baum.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
15. Re: Novels set in New Orleans

oooh! I forgot all about the Feasts of All Saints! That book was great! Very New Orleans! I'll have to read it again, too.

Baltimore, Maryland
16. Re: Novels set in New Orleans

Thanks everybody, just checked a bunch of these out of the library. Think I'll start with Nine Lives.

Baltimore, Maryland
17. Re: Novels set in New Orleans

And this is a bit off topic, but since you've all recommended so many good-looking books about your city, let me offer a great true crime book about mine: Homicide: a Year on the Killing Streets. My favorite non-fiction book, and a must-read for fans of the TV series of the same name and/or The Wire.

Fairfax
18. Re: Novels set in New Orleans

I'm reading Tiger Rag by Nicholas Christopher, recently published.

It's historical fiction, built around the only recordings of Buddy Bolden (presumed lost) in 1904. It moves between NOLA and present-day day east coast USA.

A very good read, especially if you like early jazz.

kentucky
reviews: 11
19. Re: Novels set in New Orleans

A native of my hometown who now lives in New Orleans, has written a novel in 3 parts. The title is "The Coffee Shop Chronicles of New Orleans". The author is David Lummis. Parts 1 and 2 have been published. Part 3 soon to come. I might be prejudiced as I know the author, but I thought the books were great.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 61
20. Re: Novels set in New Orleans

Andrew--I read that book by David Simon that you recommended! It was an excellent read for any true crime buff! I also highly recommend it!

Edited: 10:32 am, February 08, 2013
Reply to: Novels set in New Orleans
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted