We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Novels set in New Orleans

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Smalltown, Canada
reviews: 1
Novels set in New Orleans

As part of my research when going to a new place, I like to read some novels set there to kind of get into the spirit of the place.

So can anyone suggest some novels they have enjoyed that are set in New Orleans?

(not into vampires - hee hee)

32 replies to this topic
Tennessee
1. Re: Novels set in New Orleans

Nine Lives. Great novel following 9 people post-Katrina. Non-fiction. Loved it.

Smalltown, Canada
2. Re: Novels set in New Orleans

thanks girly - non-fiction is good too. Do you happen to remember who wrote Nine Lives?

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 13
3. Re: Novels set in New Orleans

Here's a list of books set in New Orleans on Amazon.com amazon.com/Books-Set-in-New-Orleans/lm/R2JSQ…

Smalltown, Canada
4. Re: Novels set in New Orleans

thanks very much Chris!

Stoneham...
5. Re: Novels set in New Orleans

Anne Rice...The Feast of all Saints! Not a vampire book. So informative, and fun to read. Really shows the history of New Orleans in the time period!

I am reading it yet again for the 5th time!

New York, NY
reviews: 2
6. Re: Novels set in New Orleans

The David Fulmer series featuring a Creole detective in the bygone Storyville neighborhood is excellent. I believe the first book is Chasing the Devil's Tail.

Poppy Z. Brite has a wonderful mystery series featuring two young chefs breaking into the New Orleans cooking scene. The opening book is Liquor.

Two different period of time that reveal something of the past and the present that make up New Orleans.

Enjoy.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 3
7. Re: Novels set in New Orleans

The classic Pulitzer Prize winning novel, A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. The book is famous for its rich depiction of New Orleans and the City's dialects. Many locals and writers think that it is the best and most accurate depiction of the City in a work of fiction. It is a farcical comedy which made me laugh out loud. However, some find the lack of a truly likable (to them) character a big minus.

Bossier City, LA
reviews: 2
8. Re: Novels set in New Orleans

I second The Feast of All Saints. One of my favorites. Also, her Mayfair Witches series (not vampires but witches and other worldly beings).

Song for My Fathers by Tom Sancton. Its not a novel, but gives such a wonderful insight on growing up in New Orleans and the jazz culture, .

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 74
9. Re: Novels set in New Orleans

In addition to the great recommendations above...

Barbara Hambly has writen a series of mystery novels featuring Benjamin January, a free man of color in pre-Civil War New Orleans - very interesting reads.

Storyville by Lois Battle is another good one.

Julie Smith has written quite a few books set in New Orleans - present-day detective stuff. Talba Wallis is a great character - she is an assistent to a PI in town - and there are several books in that series. I can't think of the other main character - an NOPD detective - also the central character for a series of books.

James Lee Burke has written several crime novels set in New Orleans, I am not big on him, but others find his books very enjoyable.

Birmingham, Alabama
reviews: 6
10. Re: Novels set in New Orleans

Toole's "A Confederacy of Dunces" is a must. Be sure and read the Foreword by Walker Percy.

You could also follow up with the memoir "Managing Ignatius: The Lunacy of Lucky Dogs and Life in New Orleans," by Jerry Strahan.

Reply to: Novels set in New Orleans
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted