We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food choices

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Salt Lake City, Utah
reviews: 85
Food choices

Hi all you experts! I'm coming to New Orleans with my husband. It's our first trip together although we've been separately before. I am interested mostly in the food :) I have gone over the "restaurants" here on the TA and also on Yelp. And usually I base all my choices on those reviews. But... I'm not wanting the super contemporary twist on local foods. I am looking for great etouffee, gumbo, jambalaya. It doesn't need to be a fancy place. We are staying in the French Quarter area and I would prefer to be able to walk to dinner. Can you experts weigh in on where you think I can find the best of the list above near the FQ?

Thanks so much!

Florida
reviews: 38
1. Re: Food choices

We always enjoy The Bon Ton Cafe on Magazine Street just East of Poydras. Great creole and cajun food in a casual atmosphere. Walkable from the FQ. They are not open on the weekends however. Check out their website: www.thebontoncafe.com

Salt Lake City, Utah
2. Re: Food choices

YUM! That looks terrific! Thank you!

louisiana
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 92
3. Re: Food choices

You might want to do lunch at K Pauls

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 14
4. Re: Food choices

In addition to suggestions here, you may want to check out Chowhound.com New Orleans board. They are all about food.

Salt Lake City, Utah
5. Re: Food choices

I'll check out Chowhound. Thank you :)

I did look at K Pauls. I wondered what you local experts thought of it since it's a celebrity name now. It looked good though.

new york city
reviews: 3
6. Re: Food choices

is k paul $$$$$ i only have three days off .. and i want to spend it in NO.... i am from nyc and i am a personal chef ... but i really want good food w/ laid back atmosphere..... no fine dining... i am considering k pauls for lunch and maybe commander palace for lunch and the rest ...casual good food and snacks... i would appreciate any and all suggestions... feb 21-24 for my bday with my g-friend ....we are staying in the lower garden district... thnx in advance... nyc

Salt Lake City, Utah
7. Re: Food choices

suarez... I am totally with you. I want great food... but I don't want a high priced, fine dining experience. Check out Jacques-Imos... it gets killer reviews and the prices seem good and the choices simple cajun/creole.

Oooh, for lunch I am going to Cochon Butcher. I love anything to do with pork and this comes well rated too.

LOVE New York City food. By far my favorite foodie spot for the US.

Missouri
reviews: 29
8. Re: Food choices

If you are a professional chef, you definitely want to check out the interesting sandwich choices at Killer Poboys.

You would have to take a cab, but take a look at the menu of Maurepas Foods in the Bywater, a bit "downriver" from the French Quarter.

For family-tradition Cajun/Creole dishes, look into Olivier's on Decatur Street.

If you would like the ambiance of a " neighborhood" restaurant with varied food choices (crawfish beignet and seafood pizzas), take the Canal Street streetcar to Katie's.

Are you a fried chicken fan? Even if you aren't, you can get some yummy, juicy, tasty fried chicken by taking a cab for lunch at Willie Mae's Scotch House.

I forget the name, but there is a restaurant in the FQ that serves some interesting-sounding "African" food.

For upscale food choices at reasonable prices, try Vacherie, on the ground floor of the Hotel St Marie.

Coop's is a bit more "downscale", but offers New Orleans favorites at good prices.

New Orleans is a food mecca. Enjoy!

Salt Lake City, Utah
9. Re: Food choices

I looked at Coops. It looked great too. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
reviews: 48
10. Re: Food choices

I second Christnp2's suggestion to check out Chowhound. I got a lot of great ideas on not only where to eat but what from CH (and here on TA) and my final itinerary was blessed by the nice folks there.

Here's the result...

eatingwithziggy.com/category/new-orleans/

As far as Jacques-Imos goes, the consensus at CH was surprisingly fairly mixed.

Happy planning!