We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
reviews: 3
train

how long does it take on the train from mephis to new orleans

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 1
1. Re: train

According to Amtrak.com it is 8hrs 42min.

http://www.amtrak.com/home

Moncton, Canada
reviews: 45
2. Re: train

About 8hrs. I did the trip in the fall of 2011 and it was great!

New Orleans...
reviews: 78
3. Re: train

My neighbor does it all the time and they love it, but there are times when the train is delayed by a few hours. Beware.

New Orleans...
reviews: 91
4. Re: train

Delays are very common on Amtrak. Patience will be your best friend.

Unknown
reviews: 11
5. Re: train

What is the best way to get from the train station to your hotel in the french quarter? I'm wondering if I should use taxi or rent a car. Is parking a problem when staying at the french quarter hotels? Thanks.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
6. Re: train

For the typical visitor, a car in the French Quarter/Central Busines District is more hassle than help. Parking is expensive and there is often a wait for the valet service. If you are staying at a centrally located French Quarter hotel, most of the popular attractions are accessible on foot or via public transit (streetcar or bus).

A cab from the Union Passenger Terminal (UPT) to a French Quarter hotel will cost $10-15. If you have relatively light luggage and your hotel is located within several blocks of Canal St., or the River if traveling on a Saturday or Sunday, the new Loyola-UPT Streetcar line is an option, see:

norta.com/Maps_Schedules/…

Edited: 1:53 pm, February 05, 2013
Memphis, Tennessee
reviews: 12
7. Re: train

The train from Memphis to New Orleans is very regularly early. See this handy little site. Search NOL for station and 59 for train number.

amtrakdelays.onlineschedulingsoftware.com/

Birmingham, AL
reviews: 28
8. Re: train

Loopwhole- I see your mention of "light luggage" regarding using the Loyola Streetcar to get to the French Quarter. Do you (or anyone else for that matter) know what the luggage limits are for that streetcar? Certainly they're taking into account the number of train passengers they'll be accommodating and realizing they have luggage.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
9. Re: train

Soulcat, can't say for sure since I haven't rode the Loyola-UPT Streetcar line yet (they were testing it out during my last visit), but it appears to use the same red streetcars used on the Canal St. and Riverfront lines. These cars are a bit more roomy than the green antique St. Charles line streetcars, and you have room for a medium size roller bag at your feet, but I don't recall luggage racks. I'm not aware of any specific luggage limitation; I've never seen a specific rule on the NORTA website or in a NORTA vehicle; I have seen riders with a medium size suitcase and briefcase or purse.

The Federal funding for the new line was earmarked for "intermodal" systems, and the new line qualified because of the link to the train station. The lack of connectivity to the Cruise Ship Terminal which is right next to the Riverfont line is also a shame, as is the lack of an express luxury bus from the Airport to the Union Passenger Terminal.

Birmingham, AL
reviews: 28
10. Re: train

Thanks for your help with my question, Loop. Flying isn't my favorite thing and although we took advantage of having a car during our last trip, it's definitely a burden at times, so once I convince myself that 8 hours isn't that long of a trip, I'll probably try Amtrak for my next NOLA excursion.