We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where To Watch The Barkus Parade

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Springfield MO
Where To Watch The Barkus Parade

My husband and I will be in New Orleans during the Barkus parade. Being from St. Louis, home of one of the other great annual Barkus parades (though I'm sure nothing compared to NOLA's) I'm very excited to see the "real" deal! I have read that this has become a very crowded and somewhat touristy parade. Any reccomendations on where to watch the parade? We are staying in the quarter at the Mazarin off Bienville between Bourbon and Royal. I would love to watch the parade from a balcony vantage point (and would be willing to pay for entry/drinks/food if need be) but would also enjoy it at street level. If we are going to watch at street level I know my husband won't be up for getting there early to "get a spot" up front. Thank you for any advice. I'm sure I will enjoy the parade even if I'm 20 people deep at street level but I thought I would ask in case I can improve my viewing options.

Saint Louis...
reviews: 11
1. Re: Where To Watch The Barkus Parade

KellyPoo - So glad you ask this question and hope you get some responses. You must have been reading my mind when you ask. We too will be in town for the parade and would love to view as you asked. As a coincidence, we are from the STL area as well. Have a great trip.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 60
2. Re: Where To Watch The Barkus Parade

Hey Guys! Here is the Barkus Parade Route. I would imagine that any where along the line (where it's not too crowded) would be a great spot to watch those beautiful pooches go by! Let us know how you liked it! It would be on the top of my list to see too! Have fun!

mardigrasneworleans.com/schedule/parade-rout…

Edited: 9:25 am, January 17, 2013
New York City, New...
reviews: 30
3. Re: Where To Watch The Barkus Parade

Barkus tends to "break up" as it goes along. I've heard the expression that you can't keep groups of dogs or drag queens together for very long, and NOLA parades featuring either tend to meander after a few blocks! Thus, the crowds are thickest near the beginning when the parade leaves Armstrong. Barkus was started by some of the gay bars in town so the route passes by several of them. I'll probably watch it in front of Good Friends bar on Dauphine/St. Ann. It's a block from my house and, luckily, has cheap drinks! LOL.

Toronto, Canada
4. Re: Where To Watch The Barkus Parade

That would be an awesome spot Cajun! I love Good Friends bar too--especially the bartender Cha Cha! Very sweet guy!

louisiana
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 81
5. Re: Where To Watch The Barkus Parade

Grab a few separator beverages at good friends and wait for the show....cajunwave..can't keep groups together etc...funny line...needed a laugh this morning...reminds me of the expression about herding cats.

New Orleans...
reviews: 1
6. Re: Where To Watch The Barkus Parade

Cajunwave, that's the funniest thing I've read all day! I like Barkus for the first 2,000 dogs. After that it gets a little ho-hum. Also, I wish ALL dog owners would clean up after their dogs. Unfortunately they do not.

Saint Louis...
7. Re: Where To Watch The Barkus Parade

Thanks for the responses - will report back!

Toronto, Canada
8. Re: Where To Watch The Barkus Parade

Kelly and Lucky--Cajun mentioned the drink The Seperator at Good Friends! It is a wonderful, ice creamy, boozy drink that comes highly recommended by us who have had one! Hope you get a chance to enjoy that too while watching the pooches go by! What fun that would be! Hope you both have a great time and enjoy Barkus!

Saint Louis...
9. Re: Where To Watch The Barkus Parade

Deny - saw a picture of the Seperator online - will defirnitely be trying one of those. Thanks1

Springfield MO
10. Re: Where To Watch The Barkus Parade

Thank you everyone for the advice. Drink... ice cream... together... YUM! I need one now! Do I really have to wait another week!