We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for food crawl

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
reviews: 2
Suggestions for food crawl

I want to spend a day in NO doing my own food crawl, exploring different neighborhoods and tasting much of the food. Any suggestions for not to miss places and foods to eat? Thanks.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 58
1. Re: Suggestions for food crawl

Elizabeth's in the Bywater neighborhood for their praline bacon!

Missouri
reviews: 29
2. Re: Suggestions for food crawl

Katie's is a place where locals eat. It is just a couple of blocks off of the Canal Streetcar line.

New Orleans...
reviews: 10
3. Re: Suggestions for food crawl

There are hundreds of restaurants in New Orleans. People here can help you more if you're a little more specific about what type of food, neighborhoods, price points you're interested in, whether you have a car or will be relying on cabs and public transport, what time of year you'll be here, etc. There are lots of places to dine in just on Magazine St. alone (Coquette, La Petite Grocery, Lillete, Appoline, Martinique, Bistro Daisy). Mid-City has Toups, Parkway, Serendipity, Katie's, Cafe Minh, Rue 127 and many others.

Pass Christian...
reviews: 71
4. Re: Suggestions for food crawl

That's a great idea!! I'd imagine you're looking for places with smaller items to try instead of a huge meal which could easily fill you up all day..? I would possibly recommend getting a bahn mi sandwich at Good Eats food market, right off the Canal Street line. Safe area during the day. There's amazing Vietnamese food in the city (especially the eastern outskirts), but this small market makes great po boys and is easy to get to. Totally not upscale, so it depends what you're going for...

New Orleans...
reviews: 10
5. Re: Suggestions for food crawl

The place AL-the-squid mentioned is actually called Eat Well Food Mart and is at the corner of Broad and Canal. I wouldn't put them up against the better Viet restaurants in town, but the bahn mi are pretty good there and the family that runs it is nice. There are a couple of tables, but it's mostly a take-out place and you can call in your order ahead.

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
reviews: 322
6. Re: Suggestions for food crawl

We love poboys at Parkway Bakery and Tavern-esp their roast beef but great shrimp too. Liuzza's By the Track is my new favorite gumbo but great shrimp poboy and hot sausage poboy and that bbq shrimp stuffed poboy-wow. Surreys has fantastic french toast and fresh squeezed juices, house made bagels n lox. Red Gravy has amazing pancakes and her meatballs are the bomb! Johnny's poboy has the best biscuits around. I've been so wanting to try Cochon Butcher but keep running out of time. Angelo Brocato gelato-oh my! Southern Candmakers-oh my! Croissants d'Or is a lovely taste of France. El Gato Negro Mexican tamales, tenderloin tacos on corn tortillas and margaritas of fresh fruit-drool. We keep getting great referrals on the Joint for BBQ and Domenica for happy hour but again, we ran out of time!

Birmingham, AL
reviews: 28
7. Re: Suggestions for food crawl

Since the Bywater was mentioned, some other suggestions in that vicinity would include Suis Generis, Cake Cafe and Bakery, The Orange Couch, Satsuma Cafe,The Joint, Sound Cafe and Maurepas Foods. Also just found a new to me place called We've Got Soul that looks promising from the menu.

New Jersey
reviews: 2
8. Re: Suggestions for food crawl

Wow. Thanks for the feedback. You have given me lots of homework to do, there is just so much. We will not have a car, so if we can't walk we'll try to do public transp or a taxi. We are staying in Faubourg Marigny and want to find places easy to get to from there. Looking for small items to share so we don't fill up before we want to. Thx again to all you foodies.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
reviews: 48
9. Re: Suggestions for food crawl

This is something I was interested in doing as well but by the time we arrived I opted for a few great meals instead. 2 things work against you... the richness of the food, and the richness of the menus. You'll be either too full too quickly or order more than you planned. I love doing those sort of things in NYC but in NOLA I would concentrate on the wonderful restaurants it has to offer. With that said, some ideas...

Start with some Beignets at Cafe du Monde

Walk the riverfront to the Hilton for Drago's chargrilled oysters

Do some major walking because the highlight is next

Mr B's BBQ shrimp

Have some gourmet chocolates from Spain at the Sweet Palate. Try the Pop Rock

Share a muff from Central Grocery

Fried chicken at the Praline Connection

Or do the food tour with confederacy of cruisers. Thats what I would do.

For more ideas..

eatingwithziggy.com/category/new-orleans/

Edited: 8:51 am, December 31, 2012
Birmingham, AL
reviews: 28
10. Re: Suggestions for food crawl

Other places in or near the Marigny would include Melange, Julie's Little India Kitchen at Schiro, Lost Love Lounge, The Country Club. One thing you might do is to put your hotel address on Google Maps and then do a "search nearby" for food. That's how I found the We've Got Soul that I mentioned above.

Also right in the Marigny on Frenchmen St. is The Three Muses. Fantastic food along with great music. Cafe Negril does Mexican street food (tacos, tamales etc. which you can go inside to get or just order on the street. I've also heard good things about Adolpho's which is located above the Apple Barrel Bar.