We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in Bourbon Street Ok for Kids?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alexandria, Virginia
Hotel in Bourbon Street Ok for Kids?

I had no clue what Bourbon St. was about when I booked the 4 Points Sheraton on Bourbon St. It had the best online rate for a French Qtr hotel and the reviews were good. Later while reading up on things to do I realised this was the adult entetainement district and am quite upset. I am travelling with a 9 and 15 yr old. I cannot cancel, I will lose the entire amount. Can I stay there safely and still manage to avoid the sleazier aspects of the French Qrtr?

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 19
31. Re: Hotel in Bourbon Street Ok for Kids?

We stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites Convention Center. We wanted to be close enough to Bourbon Street and everything else, but not right in it. It is a great hotel within walking distance to everything. Unfortunately you will not be able to 'hide' the kids from everything, especially on Bourbon Street, but our kids loved it, and we manage to avoid some tricky situations.

www.Destinations-byColette.com

Wichita Falls, Texas
reviews: 1
32. Re: Hotel in Bourbon Street Ok for Kids?

Interesting responses here. My husband and I vacationed in New Orleans in 2010 and 2011 and then in 2012 decided to take our three children with us to New Orleans. They were 11, 8 and 8 and they absolutely loved the city. We stayed at Harrah's and they walked all over the city including going down on Bourbon street in the evening. We took them right when it was dark and during the week. They loved seeing the street performers and got to be a part of a magic act. Sure there were scantily clad women, but they were not wearing any less than women on the beach. We had told them about Bourbon Street so they knew what to expect, but we didn't make a big deal about it.

They had so much fun and still had things on their lists that we didn't get to do that we are taking them again this year for Spring Break in March.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 1
33. Re: Hotel in Bourbon Street Ok for Kids?

I completely agree with TXVgsLvr. I remember walking down Bourbon with my parents 50 years ago and many times after. What a blast & I feel fortunate they didn't shield me. Kids are going to be exposed to these things sooner or later. It's really not a big deal at all. Have fun.

Astoria, Oregon
reviews: 28
34. Re: Hotel in Bourbon Street Ok for Kids?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and how quickly you want your children to be exposed to certain situations.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 3
35. Re: Hotel in Bourbon Street Ok for Kids?

"I hope you have learned your lesson. NEVER book a hotel without doing research on it before booking. Sigh. Why people do this is beyond me. Even with research sometimes you get something unexpected but I simply cannot imagine booking something without doing it." More than a bit condescending blonde. Were you wagging your finger while you wrote this?

What's with the needing a cab idea? As those of us who are VERY familar with the precise location of the Four Points have written, it's just a matter of going out the door, walking less than 100' along the front of the Hotel to Toulouse St., taking a right on Toulouse across Bourbon St., then proceeding towards the River. Royal St. is only one short block away. Jackson Square is only 3 short blocks away.

I don't think it's all that bad of a location for a family, particularly if the children are interested in music. See the recommendations at:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60864-i34-k598622…

The Four Points is located among Presevation Hall (close to Bourbon St. and less than a block and a half from Four Points), Royal St for street musicians (only a block from Bourbon St. and the Four Points), Market Cafe and Gazebo Cafe (3 blocks from Bourbon St and a half dozen from the Four Points), Legends Park (on Bourbon St and 3 blocks from the Four Points), French Market and US Mint (3 1/2 blocks from Bourbon St. and about 10 from the Four Points), and Perseverance Hall in Armstrong Park (4 blocks from Bourbon St. and a half dozen from the Four Points). There are MANY family activities within a half dozen blocks of Bourbon St. And if a cab IS needed, it's very easy to secure a cab on the streets crossing Bourbon St.

Edited: 6:39 pm, December 31, 2012
36. Re: Hotel in Bourbon Street Ok for Kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, January 02, 2014