We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mardi gras world.. tour or walk around on own?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ILLINOIS
reviews: 77
mardi gras world.. tour or walk around on own?

Has anyone taken the tour at Mardi Gras World? Is it interesting?

Would it be best just to go on our own and look around?

thank you

Illinois

New Orleans...
reviews: 15
1. Re: mardi gras world.. tour or walk around on own?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but as of 2 years ago (the last time I took a visitor there) it wasn't just open for people to walk through on their own, it had to be with a guided tour. It's not like a museum that you can guide yourself through, it's an actual working assembly/warehouse for Mardi Gras floats with some stuff built in to make the tours more colorful for visitors. That being said, if you're interested in the history of Mardi Gras and how the extravagant floats are built, you might enjoy it. It's not something I'd place on my must do list for my visitors, but it's fairly enjoyable if you don't know much about what Mardi Gras really is all about. If you already have a jam packed schedule, skip it unless it's a big point of interest for you.

Lewes, Delaware
reviews: 125
2. Re: mardi gras world.. tour or walk around on own?

My tour was a little of both; they walked us through, explaining what we were seeing and the meaning of it all. At some point, while still in the big main warehouse-assembly-construction area, they cut us loose and let us wander freely.

As chapookie has indicated, it is interesting and enjoyable, and I would agree worthwhile if you have the time.

Not knowing when you are going to NO, one point: I would question whether February is a good month to go. I don't know the timing of these things, but at some point, they roll those floats out of there. How long they are gone, I don't know. Might be worth a phone call.

NY, NY
reviews: 4
3. Re: mardi gras world.. tour or walk around on own?

There was no option to tour the warehouse w/out paying the guided fee. You can get into the gift shop with out paying the fee. My experience was like kjosker has said above. The tour guide shows you through and explains all about the work they are doing in the shop etc. Then you are let loose to explore the floats and stuff on your own for a while.

I would recommend this tour for any newbies to NOLA and to Mardi Gras it- self. It gives you a lot of history and back ground. I would also recommend a tour through the Presbytre just off of Jackson square by the Cathedral. The top floor is all about the history of MG. The bottom floor is now a very moving display related to Katrina and it's aftermath.

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
reviews: 74
4. Re: mardi gras world.. tour or walk around on own?

We took the tour this past Sept. After the guided tour we could walk around on our own taking pictures, and we got king cake at the end.

ILLINOIS
5. Re: mardi gras world.. tour or walk around on own?

ok thank you everyone. wasnt for sure if it was optional to have the guide or not. Im sure we will make a point to do this, pics of the floats look really neat and i would like to hear the history behind the mardi gras.

thank you

illinois

Moncton, Canada
reviews: 45
6. Re: mardi gras world.. tour or walk around on own?

If you have even the smallest intrest in MG and the parades, it's worth the time and money. It's amazing to see all those floats up close and to learn how they are really done and the work that goes into it.

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 10
7. Re: mardi gras world.. tour or walk around on own?

We did the tour and it was amazing to see the floats up close and hear what people on the crewes need to do to be members.

Depending on when you are going I would also have to wonder if all the floats will be there....

PA
reviews: 1
8. Re: mardi gras world.. tour or walk around on own?

I will be going Jan 24. Will the floats still be there? I know this weekend is called Mardi Gras lite. Will the floats be in these parades?

ILLINOIS
9. Re: mardi gras world.. tour or walk around on own?

thank you everyone for your input. We will probably just do the tour to learn about the floats, history etc...

Illinois

10. Re: mardi gras world.. tour or walk around on own?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, January 01, 2014