We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Counterfeit Booze

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
Counterfeit Booze

We buy a bottle of "Grey Goose" every year in FQ for our New Years Trip. Last year, the bottle was definitely NOT Grey Goose! I almost expext that in dive bars, but never had a problem with a retailer. Hate to give up the New Year's trip tradition. Can anyone recommend a reputable liquor shop near FQ? Or share any local wisdom on the topic? Thanks.

NJ
reviews: 26
1. Re: Counterfeit Booze

Check CVS on Canal street, doubt it would be fake there. Now, can you tell us where they DO sell the fake liquor?

Philadelphia
2. Re: Counterfeit Booze

Whoa! CVS sells booze!?!? That's almost as entertaining as the drive thru daquiri stands! But I agree, CVS sounds as safe as It gets. Thanks. I'm 90% sure of where we bought it last year, but let me check my credit card statement before I bad-mouth someplace.

Moncton, Canada
reviews: 45
3. Re: Counterfeit Booze

Now how the heck would they be able to open the bottle, take the booze out, replace it with cheap vodka, and reseal it???? If there was really a problem with the booze, I'd contact the manufacturer.

New York City, New...
reviews: 30
4. Re: Counterfeit Booze

Louisiana (like many states) has a minimum price on booze. Retailers can't go below it, lest they start a price war using alcohol! If the price is good, buy it. If the price is great, buyer beware!

I like Vieux Carre Wine & Spirits, next to K-Paul's on Chartres in the FQ. The new Rouse's on Baronne downtown also has a significant liquor/wine selection and really reasonable prices.

AR
reviews: 6
5. Re: Counterfeit Booze

Vieux Carre on Chartres or Joe's on Dauphine/St.Peter

Philadelphia
6. Re: Counterfeit Booze

Porelly, that was my thoughts exactly. But then I thought of the Paul Mitchell commercials were he says something like "if you buy my products anywhere other than your hair stylist shop, then its not actually my product." Never would have suspected it, but I guess cheap vodka in an authentic looking G.G. bottle would be much easier than having knock-off hair mouse in a can.

Astoria, Oregon
reviews: 28
7. Re: Counterfeit Booze

Where did you buy this fake booze?

Ontario Can.
8. Re: Counterfeit Booze

Getting red faced, holding breath.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 74
9. Re: Counterfeit Booze

CVS sells booze in CA and plenty of other places too. It isn't that uncommon. It always throws me for a loop in PA, NJ and other places where you have to go to a special store to buy alcoholic beverages. You can't just pick up a bottle of wine with your groceries. Or places in the south that can't serve you a beer in a restaurant on Sundays. I wonder if anybody has ever done a study on the effect of these laws on alcohol abuse, public safety, and that sort of thing. Does it make a difference?

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 12
10. Re: Counterfeit Booze

It doesn't make a d*mn bit of difference. Access does not constitute increase abuse. If you're going to abuse something, you'll always find a way.

Having said that, where I live, Ontario, Canada, has the most repressive liquor laws I have ever seen. I'm 55, and when I first became of age to drink at 19, you couldn't buy anything to drink on a Sunday. Then, you had to buy an equal dollar amount of food to alcohol on a restaurant bill to be able to have a drink on a Sunday. That led to a lot of overpriced sandwhiches, let me tell you. When you went to the provincially run liquor store (LCBO - Liquor Control Board of Ontario), you went to a counter, filled our a form, gave to an always surly guy behind the counter, who then brought you your bottle in a brown paper bag. You then had to take it directly to the trunk of your car....not the back seat, the trunk, so you couldn't take a pull on the bottle on the way home.

Things are better now...but you still can only buy at the LCBO...no corner variety stores allowed to sell alcohol...beer only a the "Beer Store" (owned by the big breweries)...although, you can buy overpriced wine at a wine kiosk at the grocery store.