We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WLK Trip Report - Part 2

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
reviews: 26
WLK Trip Report - Part 2

DAY 2 – Friday 30th:

I woke up with parts of last night missing from my memory. I didn’t FEEL that drunk, but … as we walked up to Daisy Dukes for breakfast, my friends wife says “Oh, there it is! It was right here the whole time we were looking for it last night!” I turned around and asked “Why would you be looking for it? You should have just asked me!” The group stood in awkward silence, staring at me for a while until my wife quietly said: “It was you who wanted to find it, because you were afraid we weren’t going to find it in the morning. You also made up a drinking game where everyone has to drink a shot whenever we hear Proud Mary, Don’t Stop Believin’ or Livin’ on a Prayer and said that you wouldn’t be friends with whoever doesn’t play. ”

Daisy Dukes (not as great as I remember but still good), walked around some more, introduced the newcomers to the city, bought some art. The weather has improved dramatically. From the high of about 65 of a day before, it was pushing past 70 and sunny. Before you know it were hungry again. Got in line to ACME but my friends were getting impatient. I mentioned that I read here that often people just go across the street to Felix’s instead. Everyone agreed very quickly since they were hungry. I should have never said anything. The place looks filthy and no liquor license. The raw oysters are fine, because they are just delivered and opened. The nail in the coffin was the roach that climbed onto the table. Yet amazingly, with all the squeamish women we have in our group, I COULD NOT convince them to leave. They have chargrilled oysters – they tasted good, but not as good as ACME and looked totally unappetizing. Stay away from this place.

Dinner was at Muriel’s and a huge success. Between eight of us, we had almost everything on the menu, and everything was great. My favorite was the pecan crust alligator. I tried alligator many times and was never really impressed, until now. I also had the BBQ shrimp, which was out of this world. This is a great place for someone to get their first taste of New Orleans. Traditional décor, Jackson Square location and creole-type cuisine. Excellent service and lively, pleasant atmosphere and attentive staff that never feels overbearing. Reasonable prices for this dining level.

After dinner – big plans for evening entertainment. Cabbed to St. Claude for a play at the AllWays lounge called “Shanghai”. I guess living in tri-state area and attending Broadway plays has made it difficult for us to enjoy amateur theater. Although I suspect consuming some mind altering substances could have helped. We left at the intermission, only to come back an hour later for a long-awaited show by a local band Debauche. The show was across the street, at the Hi-Ho lounge. This is where I finally discovered the secret of getting drunk like the locals, on limited budget… drum roll please!....... $6 value pack of a shot of Jameson and a PBR!!! $18 later you are WASTED. The band was incredible. The musicians were glad to see that we spoke Russian and actually recognized the songs, although everyone around us didn’t, but seemed to enjoy it just as much (kind of a mystery to me). As we were leaving at 2:30 the lead singer Yegor came outside and brought us back in. We got drinks and started playing/singing together. In a few minutes the rest of the band showed up and basically a second show started, except it was just us , the band and the bartender. We got to the hotel around 6:00AM.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 53
1. Re: WLK Trip Report - Part 2

This is the best trip report ever!

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 56
2. Re: WLK Trip Report - Part 2

Now if that doesn't beat all! Playing music with a Russian band until 6 in the morning! You truly must be the life of the party Wunder!

I have never been to Felix (not a seafood fan) but I do love Muriel's too. That is one place where you always get good service and good food. I'm not too crazy about Daisy Duke's either, but they do make some of the best onion rings I have ever had.

Since you went to bed at 6 AM I can only imagine what the next day will bring! At least you're having (or had) a blast!

Moncton, Canada
reviews: 44
3. Re: WLK Trip Report - Part 2

I thought day 1 was impressive...6am?!?!??

NJ
4. Re: WLK Trip Report - Part 2

Yep. BTW, I finally saw someone have one of those hurricane urns that you have in your picture. There were six of them, 3 guys and 3 girls. It was halfway done. They looked like they needed an ambulance.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 56
5. Re: WLK Trip Report - Part 2

I'm telling you those things are BIG!!!!!! If you have a bunch of people they're great with a smaller group...you definitely feel it! The huge glass makes for some great photo ops though!

Tucson, Arizona
reviews: 3
6. Re: WLK Trip Report - Part 2

Love the $6 value pack of Jameson and PBR. I would wager that the magnum of hurricanes would be too much for 6 people. Hurricane red is not a pretty color going back the other way.

Cape May Point, New...
reviews: 19
7. Re: WLK Trip Report - Part 2

I am laughing my keester off reading your reports! Although now it's obvious to me that I am a complete AMATEUR at doing NOLA. :)

NJ
8. Re: WLK Trip Report - Part 2

@TakeMe2Nola: It just takes time and practice. Learn from the bad experiences and follow the good ones.

Edited: 5:18 pm, December 04, 2012
Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
reviews: 48
9. Re: WLK Trip Report - Part 2

We had fun with Debauche as well tho it paled in comparison to your experience. I had a sudden weird urge to hear them do the Kalinka Malinka chant. We were debating if we could 'order' a song like in the Russian clubs in Brooklyn

NJ
10. Re: WLK Trip Report - Part 2

"We had fun with Debauche'

Were you there on Friday night, or do you mean a different show?