We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WLK Trip Report - Part 1

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
reviews: 26
WLK Trip Report - Part 1

I normally just post the highlights of every trip, but there's so many this time, I might as well format it as a report. This was easily the best NOLA trip we had since we started this annual/semi-annual tradition 5 years ago. It almost didn't happen as we got priced out of normal Columbus Day trip, which got every one of us depressed. But at the last minute I found that there were lots of good deals for this past weekend, therefore saving the day for everyone involved.

DAY 1

We got in on Thursday the 29th about 9:30 AM without incident and took the cab to Sheraton on Canal St. The whole city is under construction. Everyone is trying to freshen up before the Superbowl, but to me it looks like there's no way they will finish in time. Sheraton was no exception, half the lobby closed off. Construction noise on neighboring floors eliminated any possibility of daytime naps (we don't need them, but some of our friends do). On the positive side, our floor (28th) was COMPLETELY renovated and everything in the room was new and had that brand new room smell. And even though there was construction everywhere, this city sure knows how to decorate for Christmas - I thought New York is good at it, but NOLA is just as good if not better.

First order of events was me taking the wife (as a surprise) to Mignon Faget to buy some nice jewelry. She never buys anything nice for herself, so I figure this was a right opportunity. The street cars were not running so I decide to visit the Canal street locations. She ended up getting two rings from their new Honeycomb collection and the mood for the weekend was set. After that we head out to our first lunch at SoBou. While you could consider this a more high-end meal, it was worth every penny. The tuna cones (tapa-sized portion) were excellent and a great show of creativity, the kind of thing you would see on Iron Chef. Wife had the tuna while I had a foigras burger, which is just a portion of genius served on a plate. The quality of service matched the quality of food. Decor, while not traditional NOLA style, is modern and unusual (in a good way). What really set it apart for me was not just excellent food - there are a lot of GREAT restaurants - but the ATTITUDE of the staff. Usually the staff is tasked with talking up the food and the chef and how many awards and magazine reviews the place has. Here, it's a feeling of total humility. The server and the manager both thanked us for the compliments, but told us that their focus is on making constant improvements and that they appreciate every person who gives them a chance, being a new restaurant and all. After lunch we walked around for a few hours, just saying hello to the city. Two hours after lunch we were confident that we were stuffed, but our confidence has completely eroded once we saw the window of the French Market Restaurant that had oysters in it. The shells were the size of my palm, I'm NOT exaggerating. Got served by the shucker named Vincent, he brought the drinks and the bill as well. Heaven.

Our other 6 friends were not getting in until late, so we decided to take a nap before dinner which I chose to have at (another new restaurant?) MiLa. Another super hit! We had the Sweet tea- brined duck and seared tuna. I often make duck recipes at home and I'm taking this one with me. The peanut butter and chocolate tart desert was the best desert of the trip. Our server was from NJ, so it’s always a bonus to get the perspective from someone who lived in both places. Excellent service. Quiet, romantic setting, perfect for couples. Too dim and quiet for large groups, in my opinion. So this one is on the re-visit list.

After dinner, went to Copper Monkey to watch a disaster of the Saints game. Great little hole in the wall with friendly people, mostly from local service industry. Cheaper than Bourbon street drinks. Which brings me to the topic of Bourbon street. It's very common for locals and tourists alike to talk trash about it, but I always thought that it served the purpose for which it was designed - getting drunk in a place of debauchery and delightful sin. However, the getting drunk part disappointed this year. I sensed something was wrong when at some typical neon-filled bar I was asked if I want a a double when I ordered a whiskey. Do I look stressed? Sad? I didn't think so. Then the answer: a single shot is now about a quarter of an ounce. I have encountered this three more times before I decided to reserve real drinking for off-Bourbon and while on it, stay with Hurricanes and beer. Around 11:30 PM our friends arrived hungry so I took them to Deja Vu. Great little place with more drinks and LOTS of drunk-people food. It is the EXACT place you need to be when you're buzzing hard and starving. This part lasted almost until 1:00AM, after which we went to Pat O's for the traditional opening night ceremony, and before we knew it it was 3:00AM. I don't have a complete picture of the rest of the night from this point as I had been drinking all day; beer at lunch; (horrible) bloody mary at Lafittes, great bloody mary from French Market Restaurant (not the cafe with music, the on west side of Decatur), wine at dinner, whiskey on Bourbon, Copper Monkey and Deja Vu, hurricanes at Pat O's. Enough for one day.

Moncton, Canada
reviews: 45
1. Re: WLK Trip Report - Part 1

"I don't have a complete picture of the rest of the night from this point"...lol! Glad it happens to other people too. I for one, am impressed. Started drinking that early and you made it til past 3am? Wow!

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 61
2. Re: WLK Trip Report - Part 1

Gosh Wunder! What a sweet thing to do for your wife by buying her some jewlery! I'm sure she was very touched and that the rings are beautiful! Sounds like you found some new places to eat where the food and service was good too! That's always a nice thing! Glad you enjoyed! We always stick with the hurricanes (or others) at Pat's! I don't think you can ever go wrong with that place anyway! Thanks for writing a trip report too. It was great to read!

NJ
3. Re: WLK Trip Report - Part 1

Thanks porelly, One of my companions (a doctor) defended me saying that I functioned way better than I should have after that. It's probably all the rich food that softened the blow. But the blackout the next morning was a bit scary - rad Part 2.

Deny:

Yeah, there some places you just keep coming back to. You know they are touristy and gimmicky, but they are still great!

I can't believe I forgot:

In the trip report above, nothing was said about SoBou's butternut squash DUCK beignets. They are the best thing I had the whole trip! If you don't want to eat the whole dinner or lunch, just stop by for a drink and order nothing else but them. You will NOT regret it.

Tucson, Arizona
reviews: 3
4. Re: WLK Trip Report - Part 1

Thanks Wunder, enjoyed reading about your ventures. Sobou is on our list for later this week. We've heard only good things about it, and the .25 cent martinis will be embraced. We love Deja Vu, and visited there a few times last year when we were in stumbling distance from the Dauphine Orleans. The Copper Monkey is a new one on me. Did you notice if they have local draft beers on tap?

As for the ripoff Bourbon St. bars that are short pouring, care to share any names? I can say the same thing about the Old Absinthe house (and have), really an overpriced ripoff for any of their absinthe. What a disappointment. Live and learn, I guess....

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
reviews: 48
5. Re: WLK Trip Report - Part 1

Fun read! I know what you mean about the service at SoBou. Our waitress was by far the friendliest and most personal of the trip. How crazy were those tuna ice cream cones? Although we had different favorites we enjoyed it as well. Next time we'll come hungrier and go for the bigger plates.

NJ
6. Re: WLK Trip Report - Part 1

@Gumbo: No, sorry did not look. Pretty sure they would have Abita though. All local-type places I visited had it.

The old absinthe house has ALWAYS been a rip-off. The Old Opera house and The Swamp are the two I can remember. They literally reduce their shots to 1/2 to 1/3 of an ounce and that's being optimistic. I can't remember what the others were.

Chicago
reviews: 1
7. Re: WLK Trip Report - Part 1

I'm glad you mentioned the French Market Restaurant. I feel that place gets overlooked sometimes, but I enjoy it. If you ever go back go see Stan the bartender (he usually works upstairs). Really good guy, and makes a mean Manhattan.

louisiana
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 91
8. Re: WLK Trip Report - Part 1

french market restaurant gets overlooked due to inconsistency...good drinks tho.

NJ
9. Re: WLK Trip Report - Part 1

I have been to French Market restaurant many times and I think the key to it is to order only the fresh seafood. Oysters and anything that comes out of that pot they have out front - crabs, shrimp, crawfish, whatever. Otherwise the food was always pretty average and the downstairs atmosphere is unimpressive, compared to the restaurants in the near vicinity

Toronto, Ontario...
reviews: 3
10. Re: WLK Trip Report - Part 1

Wunder...didn't get a chance to read TA yesterday, so I've got some catching up to do! Great start--you would truly be a Floker!!!!