We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Mardi Gras Parade

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
reviews: 53
Family Mardi Gras Parade

We travel to Lafayette every Mardi Gras but have never been to NOLA for a parade. We're thinking of a day trip Saturday or Sunday or Monday before Mardi Gras. We're looking for a fun parade away from the Quarter - There are no children with us, but we don't need the craziness to have fun. Any suggestions?

New Orleans...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 3
1. Re: Family Mardi Gras Parade

All of the major Carnival parades start "away from the Quarter," working their way to the edge of the Quarter (Canal Street). The vast majority of the parades follow a standard "uptown" route, with some small variations. Following that route, the parade will start somewhere near Napoleon Avenue and St. Charles, getting to that intersection and turning onto St. Charles, and following St. Charles all the way to Canal Street, where the parade will make a few turns and end somewhere downtown.

On the Saturday & Sunday before Mardi Gras, there will be several daytime parades that follow that "uptown" route, and on Sunday, there will be a huge night parade (Bacchus) that follows that route as well. On Staurday night, the huge night parade (Endymion) follows a unique route that takes it through mid-city, making it inconvenient to catch both. There are no daytime parades on Monday...only two uptown night parades.

I would suggest you shoot for Sunday, since all of the parades are uptown.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
2. Re: Family Mardi Gras Parade

So do the businesses, churches, etc. sell space to stand? We have several parades here in SA and the restaurants sell packages with a meal and seating (and bathrooms!) Does that happen along the Parade routes - I'm specifically looking at Mid-City Parade on Sunday.

I notice Lawerance square is along that route - do I have to get there a 5am to claim a spot?

We're looking towards the beginning of the route. Want to get in and out as easily as posible.

New Orleans...
reviews: 10
3. Re: Family Mardi Gras Parade

I'm not clear on what you're trying to avoid. Crowds? They'll be there the second weekend whether you're Uptown, Mid-City or Metairie. Bacchus Sunday on the Uptown route is crowded all day and wall-to-wall by evening. You stand on the sidewalk or on the neutral ground. Lots of people bring chairs and can get territorial about roping off real estate. Spots fill up early that day. If you are not there by parade time, you can count on parking a good 5-6 blocks off St. Charles on either side. Several restaurants let you pay a fee to have a place to sit down inside and use their bathroom. Most places uptown don't have attached parking but a few do. The central portion of the Endymion route is not as jam-packed as St. Charles on Sun. or Orleans Ave. on Sat.

My suggestion is that you attend the day parades on Sunday on the far Uptown part of the route. This section is still new for some krewes and most visitors don't go to that section. So it is less crowded than Napoleon and St. Charles. If you look at the routes, you'll notice that Thoth, Okeanos and Mid-City start way Uptown and go along Magazine. I believe Loopwhole went to that area at some point last year if memory serves. It may be just the ticket for you to get in and out with minimum fuss.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
4. Re: Family Mardi Gras Parade

Highway61nola - That's exactly the information is was looking for, thanks! I've been to NOLA a dozen or so times but never during Mardi Gras. Just wanted to get some insight. I was hoping someone had a "secret" spot with bathrooms and where all the throws landed that would share with us! LOL Thanks again.

5. Re: Family Mardi Gras Parade

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, December 17, 2013