We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel area recommendation

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Flower Mound, Texas
reviews: 16
Hotel area recommendation

This is our first time in New Orleans and we're looking for a hotel in a safe, child-friendly area within a reasonable driving distance (5-10-15 minutes) to the French Quarter but not in the French Quarter. That assuming it's worth staying in an area a bit further away from the action and get better hotel rates in the New Year's Eve timeframe.

Thank you!

Missouri
reviews: 29
1. Re: Hotel area recommendation

Most people recommend NOT getting a rental car and either staying in the French Quarter or nearby and using a very good public transportation system instead. There are lots of hotels in the FQ area. Start looking at rates and see if you can find something and then ask more specific questions:

neworleansonline.com/neworleans/fq/fqlodging…

Flower Mound, Texas
reviews: 16
2. Re: Hotel area recommendation

Thanks, I'll take a look. We'll be driving in, so we'll have a car available, but we don't have a problem leaving it in the hotel parking lot and using public transportation.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 3
3. Re: Hotel area recommendation

Two hotels that offer RELATIVELY inexpensive secure self-park lots are Holiday Inn French Quarter and Le Richelieu. The former is very well located and fairly nice, if somewhat "plain Jane", larger hotel. The latter is a charming, if somewhat "retro", smaller hotel in a quieter corner of the French Quarter.

When figuring you budget keep in mind that parking in or close to the French Quarter, either hotel or day visitor, typically runs $20-30 per day.

Edited: 6:52 pm, December 03, 2012
Toronto, Ontario...
reviews: 3
4. Re: Hotel area recommendation

If that was my criteria, I wouldn't HESITATE booking Ashton's Bed and Breakfast. It rates 5 stars, has a GORGEOUS backyard and patio for kids, about a 5 minute drive into the Quarter (also public transportation--just down Esplanade) the loveliest host and hostess you'll ever meet...and one of the most beautiful homes on earth. Patrick had our Flok there for a crawfish boil and you'd think you died and gone to Heaven! It's one of my best memories of New Orleans EVER. Here's the link so you can check it out:

http://www.ashtonsbb.com/index.htm

reviews: 83
5. Re: Hotel area recommendation

I have been surfing all night for a hotel or b&b -French quarter and looks like all booked up for feb 3-8th....any suggestions. We don't have vehicle. Coming off cruise on way home to Canada . Maybe other area is better?

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 77
6. Re: Hotel area recommendation

Shidoll - You should start another thread for your question so that the answers don't get mixed up with the answers for rgrama's question. A quick answer for the reason things are booked up is that Mardi Gras is on Feb 12 this year and the weeks before Mardi Gras are very busy.

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 97
7. Re: Hotel area recommendation

A lot of people with cars and kids stay at the Maison St Charles on the St Charles Ave Streetcar Line in the Lower Garden District. Honestly not crazy about it myself, but it is cheap, with free breakfast and free parking, and a Wendy's right next door if you want to save a little on meals.

Astoria, Oregon
reviews: 28
8. Re: Hotel area recommendation

Good luck finding a decent priced hotel during Mardi Gras. Rates are through the roof and most rooms are gone at this point.

9. Re: Hotel area recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, December 17, 2013