We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice hotel with room for family of four, in good location?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Barbara...
reviews: 1
Nice hotel with room for family of four, in good location?

We're traveling to New Orleans with our 2 and 7 year old children in December. We'll only be there two nights so would like to stay somewhere nice and centrally located. Any tips on good hotels that work for families? The best I've found is the Roosevelt which looks beautiful, is it worth the money? Any other ideas?

Kansas City
reviews: 4
1. Re: Nice hotel with room for family of four, in good location?

The Roosevelt is very nice. Location is relative to what you want to do. If you have planned activities that would help us recommend a good location for your family.

Santa Barbara...
2. Re: Nice hotel with room for family of four, in good location?

Thanks for your response. We're thinking of activities like exploring the french quarter, I read you can take horse and buggy rides that I think my kids would like; the city park which I read is decorated in December with lights, maybe the Conti wax museum and maybe a plantation homes tour. Thanks again for any tips!

Moncton, Canada
reviews: 47
3. Re: Nice hotel with room for family of four, in good location?

For location, nothing beats the Place D'Armes hotel, smack dab in the middle of the Quarter. It's nothing like the Rosevelt, that's for sure. But if you'd appreciate a charming, boutique style NO hotel, give it a thought.

If your looking for something a bit more "high class", the Bourbon Orleans also has a great location, right up the street from the PDA.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 6
4. Re: Nice hotel with room for family of four, in good location?

The Hotel Monteleone is beautiful and pretty well located. They have ( or did ) a nice little children's package too. The lobby bar is an antique carousel that spins. The kids wouldn't be allowed in, but they would enjoy seeing it!

The Roosevelt is beautifully decorated and a high class hotel, but I don't personally like the location because it is across Canal St from the Quarter.

You might want to check out the Omni. If you want to be close to Bourbon The Inn on Bourbon( now officially Four Points Sheraton French Quarter) and the Royal Sonesta are both very nice properties. I'd suggest booking an interior courtyard room at these locations since you'll have little ones.

New Orleans is a little unique because most people look for big name hotels, but most of Nola's "best" hotels for location and character are privately owned. The bulk of the nicer chain owned properties only border the Quarter.

Wausau, Wisconsin
reviews: 144
5. Re: Nice hotel with room for family of four, in good location?

Hi: We have gone to New Orleans many times pre and post Katrina during the kids (2) Christmas breaks. The last three times we stayed at the Astor Crown Plaza. This hotel is historic and located on the corner of Canal and Bourbon streets and is walking distance to most of the must see e.g. French Quarter, River walk etc. places. In December the lobby is decorated so beautifully for Christmas. One secret we have making reservations is using Hotwire.com and selecting a four star rated hotel in the Canal / Bourbon Street area. It has always booked us at this hotel and has been about $100 per night and worth every penny. Good Luck!

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 82
6. Re: Nice hotel with room for family of four, in good location?

We always prefer to stay right in the French Quarter, but have never traveled to New Orleans with kids as young as yours. I think that they would be absolutely enchanted with the lobby of the Roosevelt. It is not as convenient to the French Quarter as some other hotels, but chances are that with kids as young as yours, you won't be out late in the Quarter anyway. As others have said though, there are other hotels in the French Quarter that would also work fine, and probably cost less. I'm sure they will enjoy the activities you have planned, and be sure to take the to Cafe duMonde so they can eat beignets and get powdered sugar all over their clothes!!

Santa Barbara...
7. Re: Nice hotel with room for family of four, in good location?

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice! We ended up giving Hotwire a try for French Quarter/Canal and got the Sheraton on Canal Street. I hope it works out well. Thanks again!

Wausau, Wisconsin
8. Re: Nice hotel with room for family of four, in good location?

I've stayed at the Sheraton a number of times for various conferences. Its a highrise so if you get the upper floors you should have a good view of the city.

You'll also be a little closer to the central part of the city. Good luck and enjoy!

Philadelphia...
9. Re: Nice hotel with room for family of four, in good location?

Wausau_WIWapper, thanks for sharing the "secret". It worked like a charm. Indeed, after finish booking, the hotel turns out to be Astor Crowne Plaza.

Wausau, Wisconsin
10. Re: Nice hotel with room for family of four, in good location?

Glad you got the Astor. I think it will be memorable for your family. When I got your response a few suggestions came to mind. The hotel has a valet car service which you are charged for; it’s typical for the area but is in addition to what you have paid through Hotwire. We always stop before we head downtown to check in and organize what we intend to bring to our room. It can be quite chaotic in front of the hotel so it will go more smoothly if you do that. If you do have a car and plan on leaving the city you’ll want to call the bellman at least 45 minutes ahead. The cars are parked several blocks away and it takes time to retrieve them, hence why we organize to avoid pulling the car back out for missed items. When you check-in at the desk leverage having kids by asking for a room opposite Bourbon Street and if that’s not possible try for an upper floor. We have not had a problem doing that on any of our visits. While in New Orleans you should consider the Audubon Aquarium and Mardi Gras World, the later being a big favorite with the kids. There is a McDonalds just a short walk from the hotel which is useful to retrieve breakfast for a sleeping room. Have fun!