We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mardi Gras

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Mardi Gras

Hello,

A friend and I are planning a trip to Mardi Gras 2013 in New Orleans. We will have 2-3days. Which days should we spend in New Orleans? I know the Actual Mardi Gras is on a Tuesday. But is it better to come for the preceding weekend? Would it be better to fly in on Monday morning and leave Wednesday morning or fly in Saturday morning and leave Monday?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 49
1. Re: Mardi Gras

You might run into hotels with minimum stay requirements during that period. Have you looked at hotel availability yet?

Moncton, Canada
reviews: 45
2. Re: Mardi Gras

I was thinking the same thing. Chances are there's a 3 to 4 night minimum stay around the Tuesday. Maybe you should check hotels before planning any further.

Chicago
3. Re: Mardi Gras

Nope, no minimum stay requirements in the hotel I'm looking at. I'm ready to book, but am unsure whether it's better to go for the preceding weekend or the actual Mardi Gras. Any input is much appreciated!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 49
4. Re: Mardi Gras

I would fly in Monday morning given the two options you present. But you might find transportation issues that day due to parades. Where is the hotel?

Chicago
5. Re: Mardi Gras

Thanks IrishFan! We'll stay at the Hilton Riverside, 2 Poydras Street New Orleans, LA 70130. Seems pretty close to the French quarter and reasonably priced. We're actually going to spend the previous night somewhere on the Gulf Coast, and drive into New Orleans on Feb 11 around 2PM. We'll have a rental car that we'll drop off as soon as we drive in. Do you think driving will be a very big issue?

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 3
6. Re: Mardi Gras

It depends on your expectations, tastes and interests. Each day has a particular personality. However, you'll get a pretty good sample of the event as a whole on any complete day Saturday through Tuesday. Saturday night is the most popular/active night. Sunday is the most popular/active day. Monday is somewhat of a calm before the storm with no afternoon parades, but there are evening parades and many afternoon and evening activities/events. Tuesday morning and afternoon is the highlight, but things quiet down and get a bit wierd (not in a fun way) starting at sundown.

New York City, New...
reviews: 30
7. Re: Mardi Gras

If you come in Monday, you'll be fine transit-wise unless it's at night when you're likely to encounter parades.

Personally I love Sunday and Tuesday. My favorite parades and costumes seem to be centered on those two days.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 3
8. Re: Mardi Gras

Although traffic will be heavy in general, you should not have much in the way of parade interference before 3:00 PM on Monday. However, plan your route to the Hilton so that you do not need to pass over either St. Charles Ave. or Canal St. at ground level (freeway overpass is OK).

Australia
reviews: 60
9. Re: Mardi Gras

What date is Mardi Gras?

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 61
10. Re: Mardi Gras

HD--Mardi Gras day is February 12, 2013!