We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't know what's going on, but just a little heads up

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
reviews: 5
Don't know what's going on, but just a little heads up

We've traveled a zillion times to New Orleans without incident..... But last week I was a taken a little off guard when I was approached not once, but twice by 2 different men in 2 different places and was asked to buy coccaine. My husband was also approached by one of these guys.

My hubby returned today for a business meeting and is out right now and has been approached 3 times tonight in 3 different places and asked to buy both weed and coke. These men even open their palms with the little bags and flash it when asking!

In all the cases the young men are friendly and act like they're just there for fun but then once you're on to them and observe, you can see that they are just working the room looking for bites.

They are nice enough and say ok and will leave you alone when you decline, but its troubling to me that it's happened 5 times in less than a week to us!!!

I know drugs have always been around there, but it seems like something is going on and I feel the need to warn others so they aren't taken off guard because this has happened at popular places that we all frequent and recommend on this forum often:(

New Orleans...
reviews: 15
1. Re: Don't know what's going on, but just a little heads up

Police sting, maybe? Wishful thinking, but a friend of mine who used to be NOPD had to do something similar and when the person agreed to buy, they were arrested. Crazy it's happened so much, though.

Houston, Texas
2. Re: Don't know what's going on, but just a little heads up

That's what we wondered too, because in all of our trips we've never had this happen once (and we're all over town) and then 5 times in a week??? Seems strange to me!

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 79
3. Re: Don't know what's going on, but just a little heads up

We have never been offered drugs either. I bet it is a sting.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
reviews: 6
4. Re: Don't know what's going on, but just a little heads up

Where were you when this happened? Bars? Restaurants? On the street? Hotel lobbies? What parts of town?

5. Re: Don't know what's going on, but just a little heads up

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 pm, November 29, 2012
Edited: 9:35 pm, November 29, 2012
Moncton, Canada
reviews: 47
6. Re: Don't know what's going on, but just a little heads up

I'm sorry about what happend to your hubby, that really sucks! Thankfully he wasn't hurt.

But I think the 2 are unrelated. A tourist who went with someone to buy drugs was beaten and robbed last week (and was arrested for the drug thing, deservingly so), so I think maybe the police are doing a sting to see what's going on with the tourist.

I'm so sorry though it has ruined your vacation. Maybe wait a bit before cancelling your next trip. Wait til your home and have had time to think about it. We're thinking of ya!

Houston, Texas
7. Re: Don't know what's going on, but just a little heads up

Maybe the 2 are unrelated, but either way Nola "feels different" to me right now. Everyone who is on this forum regularly knows how often we go to Nola and how we just adore the city.... And we've met many of you, so you know what I'm saying is legit! It's not like we don't know where to avoid and how to behave as to not draw attention or anything. We are very well traveled and extremely Nola savvy, which is what is so troubling about this!

I don't know if it the holidays or if its all the attention Nola has been getting with the "best" lists and/or Superbowl lead up, etc, but it seems like the thugs are out in full force right now preying on the uptick in tourism. Even if the drug thing is a sting..... They're having to do it for a reason, like say tourists being robbed and beaten. I TOTALLY understand that mostly people are just getting what they ask for, like being robbed while attempting to buy drugs, but Nola is still "off to me" right now. We've probably been at least 20, if not more, times in the past 3 years and have always felt safe and have never had any issues at all (except when some crazy man stole Tim's coat off the back of the stool at the carousel bar a few yrs back, but that could have been anytown USA) But now, all in a 1 week spam of time, we've encountered 5 attempted drug sales and a robbery! And the week was broken up so really it happened over 4 days because my husband was back home here in Houston for 3 days before flying back to Nola for work.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 61
8. Re: Don't know what's going on, but just a little heads up

To add to that I have been offered drugs a few times and on the last trip it happened twice. Police sting was my first thought too, but I couldn't be positive about that! Having never used drugs I just said thanks but no thanks and they walked off.

Lynch SO sorry to hear about what happened to your husband. Thank God he's okay.

Toronto, Ontario...
reviews: 4
9. Re: Don't know what's going on, but just a little heads up

lynch...man, I'm sorry to read this! Like you, we've been to NOLA many times (tho not AS many) and have never encountered anything like this...an occasional offer of weed in exchange for a cigarette down by the Mississippi, but never anything more. I, too, always consider myself "smart" about NOLA (and don't do stupid things like being hammered at 3 am on a dark street) but like I've always said, regardless of how safe you feel...it only takes ONE TIME to burst that bubble. (and that's not just NOLA, but anywhere). I'm really sorry DH got robbed, and I know what you must be going through to get things straightened out, but I'm truly grateful he wasn't hurt.

I understand how things feel "different" to you right now, and I know you well enough to know how that must hurt.

I'm thinking of you both...

Cape May Point, New...
reviews: 27
10. Re: Don't know what's going on, but just a little heads up

I'm so sorry this happened. As a robbery victim myself I know how unsettling this is. It will take some time to deal with emotionally. It hurts even more because it happened in Nawlins. Kind of like being robbed by your best friend. I'm glad DH is okay.