We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to New Orleans

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CA
First Trip to New Orleans

My boyfriend and I (both 25 yrs old) will be visiting New Orleans for the first time during Jazz Fest May 3-7,2013. We do not plan to rent a car and plan to take public transportation, taxi or walk. We are currently looking at 3 hotels for our stay: Doubletree, Drury Inn and Super 8. I would like suggestion on things to do, which of these 3 hotels are best and places to eat. I'm looking for any and all advice or tips. Thanks

louisiana
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 81
1. Re: First Trip to New Orleans

I see you are new to trip advisor and would you take a look at the items available here such as things to do up on the left and you can get hotel reviews here also plus up on the right ...frequently asked questions plus the search feature will reveal a wealth of information. We havent stayed at any on the hotels you mentioned....what kind of food are you interested in? and what kind of budget are you looking at for food...it can range all over for new orleans...our favorite creole restaurants are Muriel's, Mr. B's, and Pelican Club...favorite sandwich etc...Johnnys po boys, franks mufflaletta

s, margarita's at el gato negro, hurricanes and rainstorms at Pat O'Briens, breakfast at Red Gravy, Old Coffee Pot, Camelia Grill (French Quarter), and of course cafe au lait and beignets anytime at Cafe DuMonde.

Moline, Illinois
reviews: 27
2. Re: First Trip to New Orleans

I have only stayed at one of the hotels on your list, Drury Inn & Suites, but we really liked it. It has a daily happy hour with a couple of free drinks and a nice appetizer-type buffet and was very clean and comfortable with a great staff. It is several blocks outside of the Quarter but was an easy walk unless you are going to spend the majority of your time on the other side of the Quarter or on Frenchman Street, for instance. It is also a short walk to the streetcar lines.

As for food and things to do, your best bet is to read as many posts and reviews as you can and then ask specific questions just because there are a varietty of restaurants in various price ranges. Canjanyank's suggestions above are spot-on, however.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 49
3. Re: First Trip to New Orleans

I would give the Super 8 a miss...nowhere near as convenient to things as your other 2 options.

Missouri
reviews: 29
4. Re: First Trip to New Orleans

Here are SOME of the "must dos" in the French Quarter alone:

-Visit Jackson Square and peruse the offerings of the artists and craftsmen there.

-Stop often and listen to the street musicians and observe the street performers.  BE SURE TO TIP THEM IF YOU LIKE THEIR PERFORMANCE. ( For that reason, be sure to bring a bunch of dollar bills, and fives too.)

-Go into the beautiful old St Louis Cathedral at Jackson Square. Again, BE SURE TO LEAVE AN OFFERING to show your appreciation.

-Visit the French Market to peruse the Flea Market and the Farmer's Market and the associated restaurants and shops.

-Take a buggy ride from Jackson Square around the Quarter to get narrated history lesson.

-Eat a beignet at Cafe Du Monde.

-Eat a po'boy sandwich or some crawfish or alligator on a stick.

-Drink a Hurricane in the courtyard at Pat O'Briens.

-Take a walk along the Mississippi River levee.

-Take a FREE ride on the Algiers Ferry to get a great view of the Quarter from the river.

-At nite, either watch or participate in the spirit of bacchanalia on Bourbon Street.

-As an alternative at nite, walk over to Frenchman Street to the jazz clubs.

-EAT, EAT, EAT, EAT, EAT, EAT at many of the dozens of superb dining establishments in the Quarter.

-SHOP, SHOP, SHOP, SHOP, SHOP, SHOP in everything from "touristy" shops to high-end places.

-DRINK, DRINK, DRINK, DRINK, DRINK if that is your wont.  Lots of places and lots of different drinks.

-Take a ride on fhe streetcars, which opens up an entire new set of activities OUTSIDE of the FQ!

-If you are active, take a bike tour or a kayak tour on St John Bayou.

-Take a tour to visit local plantations or swamps or a "Katrina tour" to understand the devastation and recovery from that terrible event.

And this list has only touched on SOME of the highlights.  Others will, I'm sure, add to this list.  Be sure to ask more questions as you firm up your itinerary.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 3
5. Re: First Trip to New Orleans

Super 8 is not remotely close to anything you are likely to be doing. Of the remaining two, Drury Inn would be the nicer and better managed facility, but Doubletree offers a somewhat better location for the TYPICAL first time visitor.

Edited: 1:48 pm, November 23, 2012
Missouri
reviews: 29
6. Re: First Trip to New Orleans

What to eat. Start here: neworleansonline.com/neworleans/fq/fqrestaur…

Ask more specific questions after you have perused this list.

CA
7. Re: First Trip to New Orleans

Thank you all for your help. I will definitely do more research with the links and suggestions provided. I'm happy to have some idea of things to do and places to eat. I have decided to book the Drury Inn. Thanks again.

Chicago IL
reviews: 40
8. Re: First Trip to New Orleans

If I might make a suggestion, I think you would be happier with a different hotel option. In NOLA a few dollars can make a wealth of difference in the quality of hotel and how well you sleep. If you watch for specials and book with airfare, for instance, you can usually get the Crowne Plaza on the corner of Canal and Bourbon for around $125 a night. If you are a Priority Club member for them ask to be upgraded to the Executive floor upon arrival. That gets you admittance to the lounge there with complementary breakfast every day, a happy hour each evening and snacks. That is worth at least $40 a day.

9. Re: First Trip to New Orleans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, December 16, 2013