We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel price query

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
16 posts
Hotel price query

Hi everyone. My husband and I will be in New Orleans Sept 21st next year for three nights. I'm looking at the Place D'armes for $98 a night, Hotel St Marie for $77 a night or the Prince Conti for $80 a night. These seem like good prices to me but just wanted to double check with the people in the know.

Thanks for your help

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
180 reviews
1. Re: Hotel price query

Depends on what room type you're getting, at least as far as the Place d'Armes is concerned. The PdA has several classes of rooms, the largest being the Junior Suites. Then comes the Balcony and Courtyard rooms. At the bottom of the scale are the no windows rooms. That's right, no exterior window or windows in the room.

Some people have trouble with that, some don't. I have stayed in a windowless room at the PdA, and to be honest, I didn't notice it at all.

Why are the windowless rooms? Probably because the buildings that house the PdA weren't built as a hotel, but rather existing buildings remodeled into a hotel. Overall, it is a great adaptation.

The PdA has three price tiers, with the one offering the best rate is pay up front and is non-refundable. So be 100% sure of your travel plans if you select that rate tier. I have used it without problem or concern.

The three hotels you are considering are owned or operated by the same people; and they run good hotels.

Edited: 5:13 am, November 22, 2012
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,116 posts
96 reviews
2. Re: Hotel price query

I echo kjosker..In order of preference...we really like the PDA, next is st. marie and lastly is prince conti...just having to do with location for what we like to do the most.

Level Contributor
16 posts
3. Re: Hotel price query

I was leaning more towards the Place D'armes. That price was for the deluxe room which is one step up from the interior room. I think the refundable rate was only a few dollars more so I'd probably get that, just cause its still so far away til we leave, and I keep 'fixing' my itinerary. Though I am happy with the plan that we have now so if I start booking some accommodation I'll just have to leave it alone.

Chicago IL
Level Contributor
206 posts
55 reviews
4. Re: Hotel price query

I would say, depending how much time you really intend to spend in your room in your bed, to spend a bit more and be assured of a better bed. Our first year there I booked a smaller hotel like those you mentioned with lots of ambiance and what turned out to be a crappy bed. It was awful and we changed after two nights. It all depends on what kind of trip you want/expect. If you just want a place to fall into bed after drinking too much pretty much anywhere will do. If you want some historical features and a great bed, you have to spend a bit more. In NOLA as is most larger cities $20-30 more a night can mean a whole lot better experience. We have stayed at the Crown Plaza for $99 a night with advance booking, the Wyndham Baronne Plaza for between $79-90 a night and rented a whole apartment for $115 a night.

There are advantages to booking through a hotel website directly and then calling them with a copy of the discounted price to see if they will price match. Asking for the type of room each price level will get is a valid point. Bookings through discount sites are the first ones to get bumped in the case of over-booking and the last ones to get upgraded. Booking directly with the hotel will usually get you some perks.

One more note: In New Orleans an interior room with no windows is not a bad thing if you know that is what you are getting in advance. They are great for those who like to sleep late or like it darker or quieter. Getting one when you wanted a share a glass of wine on the balcony is not fun though. Wherever you book, call and speak to the concierge ahead of time. Make friends as they are your ticket to reservations, helpful hints and perks at the hotel itself.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,235 posts
92 reviews
5. Re: Hotel price query

I agree with some of what blonde has said, but just want to comment that everyone's idea of a better bed can be very different. My husband wants a very firm mattress and to me that is the worst - I want the softest mattress possible. The bedding we have found that we both agree on is at the Westin Hotel. We stayed at the PDA last year and neither of us remember anything about the bedding so I would say it worked for both of us. Also, in over forty trips to New Orleans we have not once ever used a concierge - we prefer to do all of our research and planning ourselves. So it is all a matter of personal choice.

Level Contributor
565 posts
57 reviews
6. Re: Hotel price query

I have stayed in all 3 of those properties and they are very similar. You won't go wrong with that price no matter which one you choose. I may be in the minority but I really enjoyed the Prince Conti the best out of the 3. IMO a perfect location.

Mount Desert...
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
34 reviews
7. Re: Hotel price query

I loved the Prince Conti when I stayed there in June. Great location and the room I stayed in had a lot of charm. Plus the staff was excellent.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Hotel price query

We too have stayed in all 3. I love PDA for its location and charm. The courtyard is stunning and hearing the church bells in the morning from a balcony cannot be beat. At PDA, I'd splurge and spend a little extr for either a courtyard or streetsude balcony. The deluxe rooms are ok, but the overall experience is nicer with a room with charm.

We like HSM second best for its location and in house cozy little bar. Some courtyard rooms are ok and some not so much,and the streetsude balconie are a little boring on that side, so not worth the splurge IMO.

Conti was our least favorite, but it was still nice enough..... And I think the staff is the friendliest of the 3. The PC was a little loud, in the exterior rooms at least, and there is no courtyard, pool, or balconies. It's great if you want to be right out the back door to Bourbon St, but that end of Bourbon, near canal isn't out favorite. That seems to be the area that gets a little seedy ( strip clubs and sex toy shops) and where most of the violence erupts, when it does(not that there's much, so don't worry )

For any of the 3, it all depends on the dates, days of the week, and activities I'm town in regards to price. We've paid as little as $59, and as high as $400. We've had all different room types too. Overall I'd say anything between $80/$90 is good for a basic room and up to $150 for the others is a decent price!..... Especially if its a weekend. If its a weekday I'd scale it down a tad!

None of the 3 have beds to write home about, but they aren't too awful! You might feel a few springs but it adds to the charm!

Edited: 10:52 am, November 27, 2012
9. Re: Hotel price query

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, December 16, 2013