We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To airboat or not to airboat?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
To airboat or not to airboat?

Hi folks,

I'm going on a trip to New Orleans with the wife for a week in December and we're going to take a day to see some of the plantation houses and the swampland. I'm trying to debate whether it is worth it to take an airboat rather than a slower leisurely boat ride. I'm drawn to the adrenaline aspect of the airboat, but it is pricey.

Any insight?

Thanks!!

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 82
1. Re: To airboat or not to airboat?

Grunze my husband and i have done both. we prefer the airboat. Some don't like the airboats as they think it interferes with the solitude of the swamp. i can only tolerate an hour or so of leisurely floating and I'm ready to pull my hair out. so an airboat gives us the best of both....the beauty of the swamp and also a bit of excitement. the weather in December would be a factor in your decision though.

louisiana
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
reviews: 92
2. Re: To airboat or not to airboat?

Heres a contrary vote...I detest the airboats and what they do to the marshes and swamp growth and consider them nothing but thrill rides and if you get a good tour guide that one hour can be very interesting on the pontoon etc. crafts...alligators are pretty much into hibernation now...you might see one or so...but they chow down late october and into november for their hibernation period.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 82
3. Re: To airboat or not to airboat?

I don't like airboats either - they are loud and disruptive to the natural environment. But then I could spend all day in a small boat exploring the bayou and checking out the plants and animals. Everyone is different. In December though, as others have pointed out, you probably won't see much wildlife either way though. Too cold.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 61
4. Re: To airboat or not to airboat?

I too love the pontoon boats floating peacefully and quietly. I have never done an airboat, but I think going that fast on the water in December might be just a bit too cold for me!

Missouri
reviews: 29
5. Re: To airboat or not to airboat?

If you take an airboat, don't use Airboat Adventures. Spent way too much time feeding marshmallows to alligators instead of touring the swamp in a more general manner.

6. Re: To airboat or not to airboat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, December 16, 2013